Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mistaken for game....

Old 07-04-2003, 12:44 PM

Default Mistaken for game....

posts about hunters being shoot for game always makes me wonder how many hens are shot each year in the spring?

If these guys are shooting people,how many hens have they shot?
Old 07-04-2003, 01:28 PM

Default RE: Mistaken for game....

That' s a real good question, I' ve often thought of that[:@]
Old 07-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i know when Fl got her bullcreek bird, we saw a hen , alil while later and down the road about 100 yards we heard a shot...fl, took her bird.....we were walking out, no one else around, we get to the truck and here comes these two guys and thier kids,they told fl she took his bird and he was done hunting......the kids had fresh feathers and but yet no bird...yeah right......they were real nervous too.......they negleted to check out as well........i was hot......mostly because of the example they were showing the kids........
Old 07-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good point Gene!! You' d sure have to wonder!!
Old 07-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

never thought of that....im sure theres lots....most people have no idea what the diffrence is...thats a good question....
Old 07-04-2003, 04:28 PM

huntnma, that would have made me real sick to, Those guy' s are bring up future
poacher' s and they dont even know it because there to stupid[X(] and it' s not the
kid' s falt, because that' s how they have been tought[]
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 AM

Right on, Norsemen! I think if the truth be told, there are a Hell of a lot of hens blasted throughout the USA each Spring. Due to nervous trigger fingers, outright beginners, " sound shooters" , poachers, and any number of other unscrupulous individuals blast at the first thing that shows up close to being in range. Besides the loss of these hens, in the heavily-hunted areas, I' m sure that the number of lost laid eggs would add up to an impressive number!

I put these hen-shooters right in the same class as those you see out on the duck flats, shooting at birds 25 to 30 yards past their killing range - and then not even getting out of their blinds to go after a bird they cripple that glides away. I don' t know how they can live with themselves. I do know that there seems to more and more of these guys teaching youngsters poor sportsmanship every year![:@]
Old 07-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put these hen-shooters right in the same class as those you see out on the duck flats, shooting at birds 25 to 30 yards past their killing range - and then not even getting out of their blinds to go after a bird they cripple that glides away.
i know what you mean here too...went out hunting with a buddy , he is, well was a very big man, he didnt want to get wet, i think it was it because of his weight though, that is just the excuse he used......he took a shot and the duck fell, swam around in circles, well, he wasnt going to get it, i through my hubby' s neopreme' s on and i was headed out to save th duck from it' s misery........wouldnt you know it, the duck stopped circling and swam away, i was running through the water , i took a shot,i fell backwards, i was still too far away, so i ran more, stopped and shot again, fell backwards in the water again...i got him that time, but i rang his neck just to make sure.....i must of ran 200 plus yards in the river, each time i would step , my feet would be sucked into the muck , talk about a workout.......he would of never gone after him, i was quite disapointed.......he vowed to never do it again , and to this day he hasn' t, i reamed him a new butt........
Old 07-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no justification or excuse for iggnorance and unfortunately we have many that would play stupid or just dont care for the sake of killing a turkey!![:@]I guide clients every year that have no idea what the difference is between a tom and a hen!Turkey hunting no doubt is an exciting heart pounding experience especially when birds are up tight!But a hunter has to be SURE of his target,AND WHATS BEYOND!!!I believe a staggering amount of hens and gobblers are crippled by shot when hunters just pull the trigger not paying attention to whats beyond the gobbler or immediately next to him!I' ve past on many a shots and even lost a bird or too out of range because them dang hens were in the way and I knew a shot would hit one of them ladies!!I' ve watched plenty of video footage that I' m sure when the gun went off more than just the targeted bird was hit!![:' (]To me its absolutely disgusting that a hunter would take the chance of crippling other birds just to kill one outright![:' (]You fellas want to talk about ethics in the turkey woods well this is a perfect opportunity to exemplify yourself and take good clean shots or make the ethical and safe choice to let them walk!!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

One of the reasons why in Washington state we no longer want them to offer the first turkey at no charge with a small game license. You end up with too many " rookies" out there hunting that don' t know anything about turkey hunting or how to hunt them safely. They don' t know the rules and regulations.
All of the NWTF chapters here in Washington are unanimous that we are willing to pay for our first tag.