Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill'  Report >

Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill' Report

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill' Report

Old 03-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill' Report

Got this in a weekly NAHC email...
Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) Executive Director Vern Ross released the final totals for mistaken kills reported for the 2002-2003 deer seasons last week, noting he' s pleased with the results.

Ross says the PGC expected between 5,000 and 10,000 mistaken kills during the state' s first deer season with antler restrictions, but he says PGC officers handled only 2,096 mistaken kills.

Of that number, Ross says 2,050 cases resulted in hunters paying a $25 administrative fee and surrendering the antlers. Of the remaining 46 cases where PGC officers rejected the mistaken kill claims and issued a standard $500 fine, 17 involved hunters shooting bucks they thought were does, which Ross says has nothing to do with antler restrictions and is something PGC officers have to deal with every year.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill' Report

Here is what NAHC had in their magazine.

" Preliminary results from the PGC indicate hunters in the state illegally killed nearly 1,900 white-tailed deer this past season-a number officials attribute to the state' s new antler restrictions. The restrictions implemented this past rifle season require most hunters to shoot deer with at least three points on at least one antler. The final numbers won' t be ready until spring, but officials say preliminary figures show the PGC succeeded in getting hunters to kill more does than bucks in an attempt to balance the herd. For more information, call (717) 787-4250."

It' s a step in the right direction.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Update: Pennsylvania Game Commission Releases ' Mistaken Deer Kill' Report

The numbers are surprisingly low if accepted at face value, but I do not think that any of us believes that the actual number of " mistake kills" is the same as the reported number of mistake kills.

Old 03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank, I think you' re probably right, unfortunately. I know the local boys where we rifle hunt felt us " city slickers" could hold out for a 6 point, but they were dropping anything with horns. As time goes on though, they will fade out and the numbers of bucks being shot that don' t meet the standards will become fewer.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right shed, there were probably many unreported kills. But on the brighter side, I' m sure there were probably many deer saved for next season
Old 03-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, I do agree with that and do not want to appear entirely pessimisitic...just somewhat more realistic than what the game commission posted.

Sadly, I saw quite a few does left to rot in the woods this year after rifle season was over. One was even gutted. No excuse for that whatsoever.[:@]
Old 04-02-2003, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats what I figured is that they just post something like that but never would mention about how many were left to rot or feed coyotes. I know at least the coyotes ate good this year.

Brian
Old 04-02-2003, 06:51 AM

I think we all agree a lot goes unreported. But the game commission has to report what figures they have to work with. That is the job of any government agency.

Even if everything was reported there isn' t enough manpower to investigate every claim or to remove every carcass. Hence they are always telling us to support SPORT. (Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Togeher) I don' t know about you but it sounds great in theory but I know I am not going to rat out folks on neighboring properties. I keep my group ethical and responsible but other than that I won' t step into someone else' s business. Something about a guy with 5 teeth and a gun and reporting him to game commission seems like a deathwish.

More importantly it was a safe season. One of the safest on record, I think we are all thankful for that. Especially weird if you consider the fact that the doe season has run at the same time as the buck season. I know that created a real concern about safety, " brown and down" had the potential to turn lots of woods into a shooting gallery. I say to All PA hunters that it is great news and we all must keep doing our part.