Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Jake Mobile - Real Fan?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default Jake Mobile - Real Fan?

I was considering buying the new Primos Jake Mobile to try out next year. Do you guys know if you can put a real fan on this decoy? It doesn't look like it comes with the real fan holder like the B-Mobile does. If it would work I thought I would just call Primos and order the real fan holder seperate to use on the Jake Mobile. I don't know if this is possible though. Do you guys feel that a Jake Mobile would be just as effective as a B-Mobile? It makes sense to me, it seems like the Jake Mobile would draw in more gobblers than B-Mobile since B-Mobile might be more of a threat to less dominant birds. I know B-Mobile could be equipped with a Jake fan to appear less dominant but didn't know if his shear body size would be any different to a gobbler than the smaller body size of a Jake mobile. When a gobbler see's a strutting decoy what is he looking for. What would keep a gobbler from coming in (in terms of your strutting decoys physical appearance) body size, beard length, spur length? I have a lot to learn and would like to hear what you guys think? If you want to let me know what I should get that's fine to.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jake Mobile - Real Fan?

I love mine and yep all you gotta do is order the holder from Primos or Midwest.My regular cushion folds up so I fold the fan in half and stick it in between the cushion's, put the stake inside of a fold up hen deke and then put the hen inside Jake Mob. and then bungy cord everything together. Makes for a "real" easy package to run and gun with. I just throw the cushion's strap over my shoulder and I'm off. I leave the top part of the J-Mob. stake attached with the wing nut that comes with it for speed in setup. I think in early season a strutting deke is great but later on be careful. I had a couple of mature Toms shy away from it last wk. Our season closed the 15th. I won't use em again in late season. I know better but had just made up the package and wanted to try it out. There's got to be some good sales on em now that everyone's seasons are winding down.

Dan
Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the J-Mobile at Wal-Mart and they had the fan holders as well[:-]. Yea, surprised me too. Anyhow, I took the fan from a previous gobbler harvest and just cut the side feathers about 2 inches shorter that the middle feathers and it looks great. I bought the decoy with only 2 days left in the season and didn't want to try anything new that might mess up the birds that I had been watching but will take heed to Dan's advice and experience and refrain from using it in the late season but I'll try it out early in the season and see what happens. I'd google "Jake Mobile" or "Jake Decoy" and "Fan Holder" and see if you can find both at the same store and save some $$$$ on shipping. Good luck to ya!!!!

If you don't have a B-Moble or a She-Mobile, check this deal out.
http://store.rogerssportinggoods.com/servlet/-strse-1593/Primos-B-dsh-Mobile-She-dsh-Mobile-Decoy/Detail
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. Bigtimer that is a good deal from Rogers Sporting Goods. Do you already have a B-Mobile? Wouldn't a B-Mobile with Jake Fan and beard pulled inserve the same purpose as a Jake Mobile or would the larger body size of the B-Mobile deter some gobblers from coming in? I haven't seen a comparison (side by side) of the B-Mobile and Jake Mobile. Is the Jake Mobile quite a bit smaller in terms of body size?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I don't see a big difference in size or B-Mobile and Jake-Mobile. The biggest difference to me is the slanted design on the rear of Jake. It allows your fan to lay down at an angle which allows the decoy to look a little submissive. Of course you can loosen the wingnut that holds the fan on B-Mobile and allow the fan to lay down a bit. B-Mobile is a BIG decoy and will intimidate some younger birds and cause them to move on and pick on someone their own size. I hope that made sense, I haven't had my coffee yet. Here's a photo of the contraption that my hunting buddy made. My very first turkey, a nice longbeard, came in to this "decoy" allowing me to take him to the taxidermist.

This is nothing more than a piece of rebar, a dried fan from a previous harvest and the head from an old decoy that had gotten in the line of fire on a youth hunt. Again, my first bird came in thinking that he was going to whoop his butt. He must have circled this decoy 10 - 12 times before I gave him a dirt nap. Here's another picture of that hunt.

I have only been turkey hunting for 2 years but me and my 12 year old son have been blessed to have tagged out both of these seasons with the great help from the guys on this forum. Just read all you can on here, ask questions and I promise it will become a great turkey hunter in no time. I'm positive that there are a lot of guys on here with a ton of more experience with decoys than I so I'll shut up and let them chime in.

God Bless,

Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a pic. of my Jake Mob. I went ahead and double nutted the mounting bolt so I wouldn't have to fiddle with reaching inside to hold the bolt while I attached the wing nut when I mounted the fan in the field. It also allows the fan to lay over a little more which in my opinion makes it even less intimidating.

Bigtimer- I like that decoy setup. It's the fan that really counts and that decoy proves the pt.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

Thanks for posting the pictures Bigtimer. That's an interesting gobbler decoy that your hunting buddy made. Good idea. Last year I picked up a Montana Gobbler decoy. It was the end of season and was to good of a deal to pass up. I haven't used it yet as I hunted third and fifth season this year and wasn't sure if it would be effective mid to late season. I oftened wondered how birds would respond to it since it is flat and near paper thin. With me seeing pictures ofyour buddy's hand made decoy it makes me believe that it could be effective. Since I have a Montana Gobbler decoy I'm kind of leaning more toward the Jake Mobile.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Spike

That looks really good mfd1027. I think I need one Have a great memorial day weekend guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

For those who use the Primos decoys-

Tips that work
Do not tighten the stake nut real tight - decoy will swing in the wind better
Do not tighten the tail fan mounting wing nut real tight. In light breezes you tail will stand up and then go back down.

JW