Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting Birds?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Default Roosting Birds?

What are some tips on roosting birds the night before a hunt?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Spike

Default RE: Roosting Birds?

I'm definitly no expert, but heres my take on it. Here in the part of Va. where i live and hunt you might as well leave the owl hooters and crow calls at home, IMO. Not sure if it's hunting pressure or what but in 8-10yrs. of trying i've never once gotten a response from either of these calls. The only way i can locate a bird on roost is to find a spot where you can hear well from, such as a ridgetop, wait tillthe grey sky of duskand cutt loud and excitedly 4-5 times and taper down into a series of 4-5 yelps. Be sure it's late enough that he's on roost or you just might have him in your lap. Here again, IMO, the ideal thing is for him to gobble on his own late in the evening, try to pinpoint his location, and sneak in on him before daylight the next morning.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roosting Birds?

Personally, I'm not a fan of roosting birds for the simple gamble of spooking them off the roost and ruining your morning hunt before it began. I like to do my scouting before the season and know days/weeks in advance where birds are roosting. Then I steer clear of the area until the morning of the hunt.

In an ideal setup, you could glass the birds from a distant and literally watch them fly up into a tree. IMO, it wouldn't hurt to bring a call and see if you can get a Tom to gobble...this will also let him know a hen is roosting near by which can play in your advantage. The main thing is to keep your distance, get to a high point where you can hear and see a long ways. But I would be careful, a wrong move and birds will spook and you will be left scratching your head in the morning. Good Luck