Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Have taxidermist do fan mount or do it myself? >

Have taxidermist do fan mount or do it myself?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Have taxidermist do fan mount or do it myself?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Have taxidermist do fan mount or do it myself?

How hard is it to do a fan mount? Is it worth just paying someone else to do it or is it really as simple as just cutting it off, fleshing it, and letting it sit in some borax for a few months?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Default RE: Have taxidermist do fan mount or do it myself?

our studio charges $40 mounted on solid oak plaque, the plaques usually run $25 for a nice one, some taxidermists charge over $100.......most dont want to jag around
Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Posted above is themethod I use. And it is simple.

Now there are other methods out there that trim away more meat than I do. Just Google Fan mounting and you will find quite a bit of info.

JW
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's very easy to do and not time consuming at all. I can have a fan fleshed out and pinned ready to dry in about 30 minutes. Take all the meat off you can. The more meat you get off, the quicker it will dry. Take the meat off to where there is only some yellow fat holding the tail feathers together. Put borax on the tail and pin down on cardboard for about 2 weeks. I pin down the last tail feathers with the fan spread open. The only thing that will cost you is the plaque. You can get one for under $20. A box of borox will last you a lifetime. It doesn't take much.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can do it yourself....but I would recommend taking it to a taxidermist. There is a lot of fat and meat in the tail fan...sure you could dry it...but your risking bugs that could ruin your fan, get in your home, and ruin other mounts. The correct method is to remove all the meat and rebuild the area.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I'm sorry to disagree with some of you, but mounting your own fan is very quick and easy. It's not difficult to remove all of the meat and bone. All you need is a good knife and a pair of good scissors.There is very little fat left if you do it right. It dries very quickly with borox. I have never had problems with bugs. If you leave a good amount of meat on the fan, then it will take longer to dry. My fans are completely dry in a couple of weeks or less with no smell or bugs. It would be crazy IMO to spend lots of money at a taxidermist when you can do it quick, easy and cheapyourself. If you would rather take it to a taxidermist, that's fine, it's up to you.