Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting birds?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Roosting birds?

Does anyone do this anymore?Seems like this is a fading aspect of preperation what do ya think??....Alot of us hunt the same piece of ground and have scouted our birds out before opening day and pretty much know where there gonna be,but I really still enjoy the confidence oflayin my head on my pillow knowin they will be there in the mornin when I wake up,and where I'm gonna be..Plus I do believe there are some advantages being already set-up before he wakes up on the limb.I know i've heard birds before either a long ways away sounding off on the roost or I just got to him a little late before he got on the neighbors piece of ground and cussed myself for being lazy and not putting him to bed...[:@]..Bob..
Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roosting birds?

Bob,I still like to roost em the night before.If I can I like to be where I plan to set up the next mornin.Give him a little tree yelp,then slip outta there.Bet he paces that limb all night thinkin bout that hen he's gonna hook up with in the mornin
Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

See I knew I could get one of your secrets out of ya!!!Nice to see your still with us Jimbo!!!!Oh by the way Adrian says you aint got nothin but guns from the 1940's in your gun cabinet..lol
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

HAHA,I just won an 870 camo,with the thumbhole stock.So he's wrong lol.I just saw Adrian at the Harrisburg sport show yesterday.He's still short.Kept losin him in the crowd.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM
JW
Super Moderator

U guys are too much......I still roost every chance I can get - sure stops wastin time in areas there are no bird...

JW

Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

I still roost the birds Im hunting before opening day. I dont use any calls except for the owl hooter while Im roosting. Our season allows for all day hunting, so Im generally in the woods until they go to roost...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Bobgobble2,

I personally don't it to much, but what I am very fortunate to have is, 1000 acres of land that I hunt (mostly). I do have permission to hunt some other land in the area, but the 1000 acre tract is my first pick.

I have an area I can park my truck in the middle of the 1000 acres. From this point, I can hear any turkey on it that gobbles. If I don't have a specific place to go each morning, I get out my sack chair and thermos, and listen. I have sat there for many hours, hear a gobble, jump up and take off towards him. I never call til I get within a couple 100 yards of the bird. So maybe this is another version of running and gunning, but it has worked for me more than one time. I might add, that from the point I park and sit at the truck, I can also hear birds gobble on the neighboring land, and have been successful in geting near the property line and calling the bird across the line to me.

Let me suggest, that if you have the time, just sit and listen at your vehicle, more than one time I didn't hear a bird until late morning, mid day, mid afternoon, etc.

dog1
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dog your given away one of my personal secrets buddy!!!!I have had great success on high pressured gobblers with late mornin to afternoon hunts.Late season gobblers can and do pattern hunters being approach'd and called at from the same general direction through the course of a season at dawnand will notnecassarily change roostsites but just go silent until the woods clear out(hunters).One of the most difficult challenges a turkey hunter faces is sometimes lettin that call rest and having enough patience to let one of those woodwise gobblers give up his position.Often times under heavy hunting pressure or the fact they could just be henned-up at dawn they may not speak until later in the day.I have actuallyheard more gobbling activity from late afternoon till fly-up on more than one occasion.We can hunt till 4 PM here in Cali and believe me if it dont happen early mornin I'll eat breakfast or a little lunch and be back out to the woods till shootin time ends.Last spring we took a bird at 3:52 PM with a client,boy was I happy as much as relieved..The key to this though is dont blow-up your stretch of turkey woods as Dog points out pull up a chair and enjoy the sounds and smells of spring.Oh dont fall asleep either!!!..Bob..
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I have to agree Bobgobble. We have also taken a few birds later in the afternoon and evening... Most of mine have come in the early am but Im a believer of killing one later in the afternoon...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still do it alot, but pretty much have a handle on there pattern by the time the season rolls around.

Quick Reply: Roosting birds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.