Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cant decide on ammo

Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cant decide on ammo

i shoot the nitros first and back it up with the winchester xtended long range 6's in the 3 1/2. i have a gun shop here in town that sells the nitros 1 at a time or by the box. they are $8 a shell. i bought 5 12ga 3 1/2 and 3 20ga 3in................tony
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hycohounds

i shoot the nitros first and back it up with the winchester xtended long range 6's in the 3 1/2. i have a gun shop here in town that sells the nitros 1 at a time or by the box. they are $8 a shell. i bought 5 12ga 3 1/2 and 3 20ga 3in................tony
How do you like the Winchesters?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another quick question...

Someone i know is interested in the Winchester Xtended Range loads, but doesnt use a choke. Must be a single shot, modified choke. Will they work in that?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

this is my first year shooting them. they pattern great out of my 11-87 w/ pure gold choke. i've always shot the rem hevi shot. now that hevi and remington have parted. i haven't had much luck with the patterns......tony
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6, Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6, Nitro 4x5x7, or Nitro straight #7's should all give you good patterns out of your 835. If I were going for maximum patterns I would go with the Nitro #7's.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

remington premier magnum heavy shot 3" #5.......best damn turkey load they make!!!! at least my gun likes them, a lot. knock down at 50+ yards
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmarlin

remington premier magnum heavy shot 3" #5.......best damn turkey load they make!!!! at least my gun likes them, a lot. knock down at 50+ yards
Not trying to start an argument here but, before switching to Nitro Ray's shells, I messed around with some Remington hevishot loads. I was disappointed with, what I observed, a complete lack of consistancy with the shells.

I was reading lastnighton the NWTF board that a couple of reliable posters who reload heard of some 1/2 price sale of Remington Hevishot #6 ammo and bought 31 boxes of it. They bought the shells solely for the Hevishot in them, which they figured would be significantly less than buying just the Hevishot at todays prices. What they found was that Remington was using two different wads and shot cups, and one of the two shotcups was too thick and not long enough and would allow the hevishot to scrape the barrel. They also noted a 2 gr variation in the power charges.

That went a long way toward explaining why I couldn't get Remington ammo to pattern consistantly out of my 835.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The old Rem. Hevi shot came in two different loads. The Hevi shot magnums and the Hevi shot high velocity. I never could get a desirable pattern with the high velocity. On the other hand, the magnums, which I still use, pattern excellent for me. I'm down to a box and a half of them. After they are gone, I will use Win. Xtended and Rem. Wingmaster HD's. Mouthcaller, do you know if the wad you are talking about was in the high velocity or the magnums?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never tried nitros, but I do have an 835 with a jelly head choke. I used 3.5" 2.25 Oz #6 Hevi-13s and got pretty decent patterns at 40 yards. Dropped a bird in his tracks at a laser measured 39 yards last year. For the performance I'm getting with the Hevi-13s, I don't see the need to drop more coin on the Nitros. The Hevi Shot definitely performs better than lead loads though, so I'll pay for the Hevi-13s.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to say i guess. Ive always liked Winchester ammo, so i may stick with them. Id like to try the Nitros, but my God are they pricey. I dont plan on taking 50 yard shots anyway, considering this is hunting not shooting.

Quick Reply: Cant decide on ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.