Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cant decide on ammo

Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cant decide on ammo

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Jellyhead choke. Normally i shoot Winchester Double-X Magnums,2 1/4oz 3.5" #5. This year i want to upgrade. Im trying to decide on either Hevi-Shot or Nitro. Id like to try Nitro, but man are they expensive. And with Hevi-Shot, im still a little confused on which ones to get, considering ive heard theres certain ones NOT to get. Either way, id like to try the "heavier than lead" thing, and shoot #6's instead of #5's if i can get just as much or more KE with smaller pellets. Any ideas? Thanks guys

Or what about Winchester Xtended Range loads? Probably the same darn thing right?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cant decide on ammo

When I first started out I used the same 2 3/4"-#4 shot loads I used for ducks/geese.They worked just fine.It's really more a matter of what patterns best in your gun than anything else.Try a few different loads and see which your gun likes.You don't need to buy the real pricey stuff.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot a 835 since they first started making them. I'll agree you don't really need the pricey stuff, but I will say that the Nitro's shoot much better than anything i've tried. Using a 680 choke and their 4X5 lead X 7 hevi shot load is amazing. I've had great success with Remington 1 7/8 oz. hevi shot out of Mossberg's turkey choke.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a 20 gage pump with an Undertaker choke loaded with 2.75" #7.5 shot, ordinary cheapupland shells, it will shear a gobbler's head clean off at 40 yards. I'll never understand the facination with shoulder bruising expensive ammo.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 40 yards? Shear the head right off with a 20 ga.? Come on Kevin, I think we are exaggerating just a bit. Not trying to knock you bud, but 40 yards should be about the max. range for a 20 ga. period, certainly not knocking off head range.True, you don't need the heavier than lead loads to kill a turkey, and a 20 ga. will kill turkeys just fine at a reasonable range,but that extra down range energy can help at many times. At longer ranges, they will outperform any lead load. If you limit your shots to 35 yards or closer, it really doesn't matter that much. I use them, and like many turkey hunters, I won't go back to lead. Kdsberman, the Xtended range is a good shell. The best pattern I have gotten with my Jellyhead choke is with the Rem. Wingmaster HD's. They are kind of hard to find though. I currently use the Rem. Hevi shot Magnums, but they don't make them anymore. This is unfortunate, becausethey are pretty awesome. I stay away from Hevi 13's. They just don't pattern well at all with my setup, regardless of what color they are. That doesn't mean they won't pattern well with yours though. I've never tried Nitro, but I hear people swear by them all the time, so they must be pretty good.I did find some Rem. Hevi shot mags. this weekend at a local sporting goods store. They were 3 inch and I use 3 1/2. They had a bunch of boxes though. They were I believe$26 or $27 for a box of ten. They had a surplus of these a few years ago and still have some left.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i understand you dont need real expensive ammo. Before using my Mossberg 835, i used a basic NEF Pardner 12ga single shot with 3" Win.Supremes. I know all about NOT being fancy. But way too many times have i had toms hang up just out of my "comfortable" range. Thats why i want to upgrade. Ive heard too many times that a certain color of Hevi Shot is better than another color. I dont want to deal with that. Ive heard nothing but great things about the Winchester Xtended Range loads and Nitro. Though id love to try Nitro, i might just go with the Winchesters, since i can just go to there store and get them without a shipping charge. Unless i see some being sold.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do somehow come across a box of Rem. Hevi Shot Magnums, I would definately get it. I think you will be satisfied with the Win.Xtended Range shells though. They pattern well with my Jellyhead in 5 shot, but not as well as the Rem. HS mags or the Rem. Wingmaster HD's. The Xtended kicks like a SOB, at least the 3 1/2's do.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

The Xtended kicks like a SOB, at least the 3 1/2's do.
Haha ya i bet. I know the Winchester Supreme Double-X Magnums are brutal!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a Jellyhead choke. Normally i shoot Winchester Double-X Magnums,2 1/4oz 3.5" #5. This year i want to upgrade. Im trying to decide on either Hevi-Shot or Nitro. Id like to try Nitro, but man are they expensive. And with Hevi-Shot, im still a little confused on which ones to get, considering ive heard theres certain ones NOT to get. Either way, id like to try the "heavier than lead" thing, and shoot #6's instead of #5's if i can get just as much or more KE with smaller pellets. Any ideas? Thanks guys

Or what about Winchester Xtended Range loads? Probably the same darn thing right?

Kdsberman - we covered this last year.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2725325&mpage=4&key=?

If you go with Hevishot avoid the 1.75 oz load. Go with the 2.25 oz load in 3.5" I believe that is the gold one. I would choose #6 shot.

Nitro's shoot best in my 835. I recommend the 3.5", 2.25 oz "Triplex" load of 4X5X7. 256 hits in the 10 circle at 40 yards. Very deadly. I don't care what they cost because I don't plan on shooting more than 4 of them.

Now that gas is less than $2.00 per gallonwhy don't you take the money are saving and go get you some Nitros and be done with it?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I know we covered it last year, but i couldnt find the the post where we did. Last year i ended up going with my normal Double-X mags. I just noticed on Nitro's webpage that theres all this insurance stuff. Not sure i wanna deal with it. Now, since we're on the subject, what about Nitro H517....that a good one? Or the 501L?

Quick Reply: Cant decide on ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.