Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hopefully not russleing any feathers here >

Hopefully not russleing any feathers here

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hopefully not russleing any feathers here

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM

Default Hopefully not russleing any feathers here

After 25yrs of bow hunting I tore my rotater cuff bad.
After surgury the surgeon said no more bow hunting.
I am now going to cross bow.
Is there anything different I should look at before I start turkey hunting next month.
Thanks in advance
Chuck
Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hopefully not russleing any feathers here

How about a 40# peak weight compound? There have been plenty of archers who have had similar injuries. You might not be shooting 70#s.... but with some PT and rehab you can still shoot a bow.

DryRidge comes and goes over on the technical forum here on hunting.net. Shoot him a PM... he is old as the compound bow and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about them. I know he was hunting last fall rehabbing with a 32# Mathews and killed a couple deer with it.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know sqwat about crossbows, but as far as russleing feathers... forget about it. Do what ya' gotta do. If you're physically out of the bow game, theres nothing wrong with a legal alternative.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Heck no as I am in the same situation!

I planned on getting back into archery but really tore my shoulder up bad. Was thinking the same thing as you - crossbow!

But words of advice - DO WHAT THE PHYSICAL THERAPIST TELLS YA. MAKE A ROUTINE OUT OF IT! Daily!

THE DIFFERENCE BEING IS HOW MUCH MOVEMENT YOU WILL KEEP FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Am I at 100% ? NO! But I am at a darn sight better than before surgery and can only get better.......but it is a long slow process!

JW
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a crossbow due to a back injury, an Excalibur crossbow is my choice of bow. I have harvested deer but have yet to harvest a turkey with mine yet. These bows are very accurate and a joy to shoot. There is a post on here regarding "where to aim" with archery equipment if that is what you are inquiring about. You can also visit Excalibur's website and go to the "Forum" page and there is a wealth of information there. www.excaliburcrossbow.com . Good luck. Oh, BTW, the only feathers that your going to ruffle will be those of a big ole tom!!!!