Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

feathers???

Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default feathers???

I want to try some feathers on my arrows and have some questions.... Right wing, left wing? I ussually fletch my arrows straight, what type of feathers do I need? Also have things called sheild feathers??? I just want to try some feathers, not sure what to buy.....suggestions please...

Thanks,

Voz
Old 01-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Default RE: feathers???

www.gatewayfeathers.com

That will show you the different types, colors, lots of stuff. Another good one is www.trueflightfeathers.com . Shield, parabolic describe the cut of the feather, the shape if you will. I shoot feathers, and really like them. I shoot 4" on a right helical. Left wing or right wing depends on weather you will fletch them with left or right helical. Left with left, right with right. Feathers are much lighter, much more forgiving, durability has not been a problem, and just look really cool. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep what he said about left and right wing. Just want to add to that if you fletch your feathers perfectly straight you can use either left or right wing feathers. Right wing feathers are much more abundant and easier to get.

Since going to feathers I will always shoot them. Vanes just don't compare. I even gave the NAP quick spins a try but feathers still seem to stabilize the arrow much faster than quick spins. The quick spins may spin the arrow fast but I truely believe that feathers still "grab" more air and straighten an arrow faster and keep the arrow straighter than any vane made.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 AM

I think they pretty much have it covered, the only thing I can add is that most of the people Ive talked to say the parabolic and shield cut fly the same. I think the shield cut is more popular in Europe and parabolic are more popular in the States. Length is pretty much up to what type of broadheads you want to use. Most people around here go with 3-4inch. If I were you, I would go ahead and invest in a 3 dollar bottle of fletch-dry when hunting season comes around. Other than that, sounds like youre set. Hope this helps.

"Aim small, miss small."
Old 01-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Not to start a disagreement here, but I believe the shield cut stabilizes a broadhead even a bit better than parabolic. I may be all washed up here though, as I have nothing to base this on except what I have read.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm a beginner ,
but even I've noticed that my arrows stabilize faster and better with feathers than the same shafts with vanes . Mine are 5" shield cut and I shoot a recurve . I think they're left helical . When I shoot vanes I get far more fliers .