Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys

Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decoys

Ok thanks.. I've been trying to decide on which decoy or decoy combo to get, and I'm really considering peep'n tom and pretty penny combo. I wish pretty penny was a bit darker.. she looks more like a grouse lol.. but the gobbler is very nice.. and i like the idea of two heads..
Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter0206

I used to use a jake and a hen but i stopped that because i had a tom spook away from the jake....still dont understand that one....but now i use prettyboy and pretty girl I've had a few come to pretty boy.
I tend to doubt that a turkey can tell the difference between a jake and a gobbler. Perhaps if the jake was in strut, but I doubt they pay much attention to tail feathers. I think they look more at size and body posture and head color. All that gobbler knows is that there is another, larger, black, male turkey with the hen he was coming to investigate. If he is the dominant bird of the area, then he'd probably come in and take on an ostrich. However, if he is a subdominant or satelite bird, he will usually beat a hasty retreat because he has had his tail kicked a time or two. Gobbler decoys, 90% of the time, will either make you or break you right from the start. I've only ever seen one bird hang up on one... it took two hours, but he got too close and took the ride.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Almost every single Tom I've ever shot I've used a decoy with the exception of about three when I had to spot and stalk. In my area they don't get leery of decoys for some reason. I use the B-Mobile with two hens and have been very successful.