Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Calling

Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mouth Calling

Have had birds respond to my yelping(natural voice) in the fall... Never tryed it in the spring...

For Owling I use strickly my natural voice...

I'm sure I could yelp one in with my voice if I tryed
Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

ya, jnturk. i have noticed my partner can do mouth calls (without diaphram), he has a much deeper voice than i do but he has a completely different technique than i use, and his yelp and purr sounds so much different than me.

i can recall one highlight that mouth onlycalling worked very well for me. last year i was taking afriend out for his first bird and i had saw a tom strutting in the rain on one side of the hill so we hastened our approach around the hill to where he was going. in the process i had alarmed some jakes down by the river. i immediatly started "putting"back atthem, then i moved to purring and clucking aggressively all using only my mouth. the jakes quickly turned around and flew across a flooded river, ran up the hill and around the front from a 1/4 mile away as fast as they couldand then proceeded to beat each other for dominanceat 10 yards for a minute before my friend shot one. after that day i was completely sold that it works very well.
that is a great story...mine is somewhat similar...my brother and i were in the 3rd week of CA season hunting public land. we hear a gobble way, way off on top of a close mountian top (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) and my brother starts laying it in to him and he (mature tom 10" beard and 1 1/8 spurs) flys down from his mountain right below our mountian next to the stream between the two of us...we go down there and was able to film the hunt....it was AMAZING!!! i have killed my share of birds and this was a first for me....

note: that tom never would respond to my calling at all. i tried box, slate, and diaphram.....he wanted the real thing i guess
Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

that is cool jnturk, it makes it a real challenge and accomplishment. i would like to see the video that you made, if i get a wild hair, i may go film one this year.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

that is cool jnturk, it makes it a real challenge and accomplishment. i would like to see the video that you made, if i get a wild hair, i may go film one this year.
to be real honest, even though we only hunt public lands, only once in the past 6 years has the camera made it so that we missed out on a bird. Besides that we do very well and film a hunt every year of either myself, my brother, or cousin shooting a bird. Makes it a little more challenging, but I really just enjoy looking back at the hunt on film and re-living it with my brother.....good times

any little home camera will work fine, but DO get it on a tri-pod to film the hunt.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I've called in a few hens in the fall with my voice, but have never tried it in the spring.