Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Calling Pt. 2

Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Mouth Calling Pt. 2

Hey fellas/ladies.

Just a update on my mouth calling experience!

The old lady bought me a Primos Box Cutter and I really like it. Makes sounds a hell of a lot easier than the mouth call and gives me a refernece! Now, that is a hen correct? Being that it does not "gobble"? Sorry, I dont know much, but want to get into the finess sport/addiction of the gobbler!

Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mouth Calling Pt. 2

Yes, the box call is suppossed to emulate a hen. The Box Cutter, if your's is a double sided call, can be made to gobble if need be by using the rubber band to loop over the handle and shake it side to side. If you wanted to gobble though I'd suggest getting a gobble shaker. They sound much more realistic IMO.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Simp...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gobblers will cluck and make assembly call sort of noises... almost like hens will. Especially in the fall of the year. Only it is much deeper, and much more raspy.

You will, with practice, be able to make a gobble on your diaphram call in due time. Ain't really good for nothing except calling hunters... though I've used it to my advantage a time or two . Not all mouth calls will do it... but you'll figure it out.

Use the NWTF.org webite to reference your calls. They have free streams of actual turkeys calling. That is how I would learn if I were you! Good luck! Keep at it!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM

thanks fellas. Appreciate the help.

Another question I have is:

Watching The hunting channel tonight I noticed that they yelp right before they shoot...Is this like a grunt when deer hunting? Kind of secure them to stay put before you pull the trigger? Any suggestions as to why they do that?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Its usually to raise there head for a good clean shot. If they are in full strut it makes for a smaller target and the BB's will get into the breast of the turkey. You dont want to mess up the fan as well...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntersiuc

thanks fellas. Appreciate the help.

Another question I have is:

Watching The hunting channel tonight I noticed that they yelp right before they shoot...Is this like a grunt when deer hunting? Kind of secure them to stay put before you pull the trigger? Any suggestions as to why they do that?

One of two reasons:

If the bird is in full strut, they are likely making some sharper noises to try and get him to stick his head up and expose all of his neck. When a bird is in strut like that, his neck is tucked in a tight knot up againest his body, and is shielded by feathers (and those feathers can really slow down pellets). That would be like a bow hunting making that "maaaaeerrrpp" sound to stop a walking deer before sticking him.

Second case would be that the caller and shooter are two different people and the caller is still calling (because hunting shows are usually about selling something.... camo... guns... calls etc) when the shooter drops the hammer.

When a bird is coming to me.... the calls get put down and the gun gets picked up. When a bird is coming to me, or espeically in range... I call NO MORE! With very few exceptions... that usually happen AFTER the shot... with multiple hunters and multiple Toms.