Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Camo for your gun??

Old 03-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Camo for your gun??

I was wondering what your opinion' s are on two camo products for your gun. What do you think about the H.S. Camo Gun Sock?...which you slip over you gun. Also, the H.S. CamoShield Shotgun Kit for your shotgun?.....which you stick to your gun. The gun sock runs about $9 and the camoshield runs about $22. I would like to put camo on my gun but wanted to get some feedback about these products from your own experience with them. Thanks for your help.

Outlaw
Old 03-16-2003, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Camo for your gun??

I bought the cloth camo tape from midwest turkey supply and it is awesome. Save your money and tape the gun. I could hardly find my benelli in the gunsafe after I taped it up.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:41 PM

I have a Ithica #37 that I hunted turkeys with for years. I used the gun sock and it did a good job. Some of the drawbacks for me was the sock had to be cut out for the trigger and the ejection port, and at times it would twist around. It did effect the pump action slightly, I had to work the action hard to make sure it would cycle fully. Also had to be careful if it got wet to make sure to remove it for drying, so my gun would not rust. With all that said it did work pretty well and I used mine for about 7-8 years.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:00 AM

Never cared for the gunsock myself. The kit from H.S. isn' t half bad. You have to take your time to make sure you don' t get wrinkles and bubbles, but it looks pretty decent when finished. The cloth tape isn' t too bad either.

I have one old gun that I painted when I first started turkey hunting. That' s always another option if you don' t mind painting your gun.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:22 AM

The gun sock got caught every time I pumped back , so I went to the tape and found it works pretty good.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t bother. As long as the thing isn' t stainless steel, or has " ugly" shiny spots, camo is not necessary.

I know people talk about this all the time, but I can' t honestly say I' ve ever seen a turkey spook from seeing a gun in the woods. Now if you move too fast, then sure, the bird will spook. Camo can conceal some of the motion, but if your careful (and in this regard, it shouldn' t matter whether the gun is camo or not) this is not a concern.

Now, if you were purchasing a new gun, I would recommend either a black synthetic stock or a camo model. But you' re not, so just use what you have and don' t even worry about it...

S&
Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

I use the gun sock. It does twist a little, but it doesn' t interfere with my gun' s action. It is a Beretta A390, so I just had to trim around the action and trigger guard. I didn' t want to tape it because I' ve had bad experiences with the adhesive on the tape not wanting to come off. The main reason I use anything is to protect my gun' s finish from the bumps and scratches I put on it. I wish I could come across camo stretch tape that doesn' t stick to anything but itself like Coban used in medical clinics or Powerflex athletic tape. Like was said, it really isn' t necessary unless your gun' s finish is shiny. Many turkeys have been killed by non-camoed guns from hunters who were wearing drab colors rather than popular patterns. Camo is more for the hunter than the quarry, but it does help with slight movements and breaking up outlines. And I do like my MO Break-Up.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to cast my vote with for the tape too. It' s more forgiving when applying, and cheaper.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:04 PM

i do agree with srut n rut, but i did do this once,i took a rem 870 mag and drew with a marker, " branches" on the gun, on the barrel, forend, stock, the whole gun. just a bunch of squigilly lines, dont over do it, and make sure you use a permanent marker. then i spray painted it after taking out the trigger assemblly, with flat tan. you cant paint over ink so it will show through. thats what you want it to do. then i hit the gun with some green. it looked a hole lot better than i expected sold it for 500.00 dont do this to your grandads gun!