Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

glass/slate/aluminum?

Old 03-03-2003, 02:31 PM

Default glass/slate/aluminum?

would it be worth my time to have a call made of each?
i have a blodgett glass(legacy) on its way.
i am concidering buying a slate and aluminum also. the couple that i am considering is the cane creek pro custom slate and the american friction alumaglass(based on hunters feedback mostly)
any thoughts on these or others?
i have decided to look at ' custom' calls only

if i were to purchase these three calls and maybe an extra striker or two or three(lol), could/would i be set to hit the woods? (i cannot work a diaphram)

thanks guys

Old 03-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2003, 09:17 PM

Default RE: glass/slate/aluminum?

I almost always have a glass & slate with me. sometimes I even take an aluminum one too! I like the lslate for mellow easy going calling while I really like to crank on the glass call.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:41 AM

Default RE: glass/slate/aluminum?

There are friction calls out there that have several surface types on one call pot and they sound pretty good. I just got a triple threat friction call that has slate, plexi, and aluminum surfaces. I always carry 5 or 6 different types of calls with me because you never know what they will be in the mood for.
I bought a lohman pump yelper about three years ago and never had any luck with it except for one time last year. I had a gobbler strutting out in the middle of
a 20 acre field and I had tried every call in my bag but he would just gobble and stay in one place. I finally pulled out the pump yelper and man did he go nuts.
He shot right in to within 30 yards.
So basically, to answer your question, yes. Carry several different sounding, different frequency calls. Sometimes all it takes is something different than the gobbler is used to hearing. My arsenal includes: Cody Woodsman Slate, triple threat friction, lohman pump yelper, lohman mouth yelper, lynch box call, and a custom made cedar call with a cedar striker. Oh, and a gun mounted push button yelper.
Good luck.