Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best >

slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best

Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM

Default slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best

Ok i am going to try to build a call from one of the kits online. I would like to know if any of you have built these kits or should i just stick to the manufactures like knight and hale. I enjoy building my own equipment, so i think this would be fun.
Second what is your favorite surface: slate, glass, or aluminum
thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 09:57 PM

Default RE: slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best

Out of the slate,glass or aluminum I would have to say the glass is my favorite.You can crank it up loud or be soft and subtle.
Realy it's just what the bird wants to hear so I take all three and try to figure out what he wants.Good Luck.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aluminum , is my choice of pot calls, I like the higher pitch from it...BT
Old 01-27-2004, 10:10 AM

Glass here
I can get soft calls out of a glass.
Wet weather also doesn't affect glass
Old 01-27-2004, 05:13 PM

I built a call last spring from Custom Sawing. It was a walnut pot glass over glass. It turned out pretty decent and sounded "OK" but nothing to jump up and down about. That was probably my one and only foray into call making. The best thing I got from the experience was the understanding of how a call was made and the appreciation for the time involved in custom call making. But I found after purchasing everything I needed to make this call and the price of shipping, I had as much or more in this call than if I had just purchased a call from someone like American Friction, whose calls are very reasonable and are proven in competition. But if I were you and wanted to try my hand at it, I would build a slate over glass. It won't be quite as much work as the double glass (conditioning the glass is work!) and it will probably end up looking nicer and sounding better. Good luck!!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with BT on this one. I like the pitch on my Black Magic aluminum by H.S. Strut. BB
Old 01-29-2004, 09:52 AM

Slate has always been my favorite surface. I just feel comfortable with a slate call in my hand. However I always carry at least one glass and one aluminum call in my vest. Slate is easy to maintain and very easy to make turkey sounds on.

I did buy a new glass a few weeks ago that has changed the way I look at glass calls. It is slowly becoming my favorite .

Tyler
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM

I have slate, glass, crystal, aluminum, & titanium. My favorite two have to be the slate & crystal, and the only reason the crystal rates slightly higher is it works in the rain
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 PM

If there is no rain, glass calls all the way. The H.S. Strut Lit'l Duece II has been really good to me. I am going to get the H.S. Strut Black Magic this year to have a quality aluminum call. I agree, the striker is very important, but so is volume and pitch control.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:49 PM

Glass & Slate!

Quick Reply: slate, glass, or aluminum..what surface do you like best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.