Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do you dispatch a wounded turkey?? >

How do you dispatch a wounded turkey??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you dispatch a wounded turkey??

Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you dispatch a wounded turkey??

i just stand on their neck for a minute...they quit flappin pretty quick..its just nerves if you made a decint shot...

last year i did wound one...he really did need another shot...but by the time i found him i was furious lol...we went hand n spur a couple rounds....i won. young dumb n adrenalin and unhappy with him and myself...i just didnt think...though i know grabbing a bird is never a good idea....

who had the pics of their spurred hands on here a while back?? thats always my "reminder" on not to grab birds! lol

Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

deep fryer
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i get up and run, and if it needs antother shot i take it. but if its not going anywhere i ring its neck
Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 PM

step down hard and fast, you will hear his skull/neck make a loud snap....game over. He will quit flopping.

Stomp his head.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:18 AM

break the neck (Don't do as one friend of mine did) he walked up to the bird to shot it in the head an shot just as the bird moved an took out half the breast along with the beard
Old 05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe???

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I just step on there neck...
Yup! step on the neck,less than a minute later it's all over!
BTW, the flopping bird is probably dead already, similar to a chicken that continues to run with his head chopped off! The ones that go down w/o flopping are sometimes just stunned, get to those birds quick!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my rule of thumb that has caused me to NEVER lose a wounded turkey (this is from almost two decades of shooting geese and ducks, and I use this rule with turkeys too):

If his head is down, he is down; if his head is up SHOOT HIS ASS AGAIN!

You will NOT catch a crippled turkey in a foot race. If he is flopping... let him flop... to hasten the process.. there are several things you can do: What I do with geese and turkeys is to stand on the head and grab the feet.. you gotta use two hands and be careful. With your foot on his head... pull up on the feet until you hear a deep, sharp POP. Then let him go cause he's already dead. Its important to keep the turkeys back TOWARD YOU! That way you cannot get spurred, and you cannot be flogged by wings.

As to grabbing him by the neck and spinning him like a goose.... thats not the way geese should be done anyhow... you gotta spin awfully hard to break the neck... and anyone who grabs a still living turkey by the neck and lifts him up is braver than I. Its a good way to get hooked right in the Easter basket. Also, if you are trying to save him for a mount... its about the worst thing you could do... if you think he is going to flop when you stand on his head... just wait 'til you try and lift him up....

My best friend has a decent method... he used a knife and finds the slit behind the ear and a quick jab.... lights out. Works on turkeys.

For ducks (phesants would apply too)..... I separate the last vertabrate from the skull... using God's own creation.. my canine tooth. For a pheasant, which isn't quite as hearty as a duck, I'd prbably just crush the skull with my thumb and forefinger like I do a dove.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will NOT catch a crippled turkey in a foot race. If he is flopping... let him flop... to hasten the process.. there are several things you can do: What I do with geese and turkeys is to stand on the head and grab the feet.. you gotta use two hands and be careful. With your foot on his head... pull up on the feet until you hear a deep, sharp POP. Then let him go cause he's already dead. Its important to keep the turkeys back TOWARD YOU! That way you cannot get spurred, and you cannot be flogged by wings.
I caught a wounded turkey. Lost half my clothes in the throny bushes and was about dead when I did catch him but I caught him. The reason I had to chase him down was I ran out of shells, because I didnt take my time dispatching him...