Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to dispatch a wounded deer legally >

How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Old 12-13-2005, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

First in Connecticut you can not carry a dispatching gun, like a small pistol and you can not carry a rifle or discharge it after dark. Ran into a real mess last week. Shot a 4 point, it was a front quartering shot so I went for the shoulder a bit further than usual to avoid ripping through the chest and into the guts. Well the shot was right on and took out the left shoulder but deflected and came out the other side forward and removed the right front leg. 70 yards propped and open area shot. The buck reared up and wandered off with tail between his legs so I knew I had a significant hit. This was just before dark, ½ hour so I went up to the house a ¼ mile or so away and put the 270 away. Went to fetch the deer and their was a significant blood trail. About a 100 yards out I found him lying down head up and quite alive. He got up and moved about 10 yards and went down but was sitting up alive. Now is the dilemma I have no gun and he has 8 inch Ys and it is dark. In Connecticut the only legal kill is the knife and I surely was not going to try to grab him to use a knife. The question is what to do? I did dispatch him quickly as is ethically requiredbut the method is best left with the woods.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

The only legal choice other than the knife in that situation would be to let it bleed out .
Old 12-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throw a rope around it's neck and string him up to suffocate.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 AM

[quote]I did dispatch him quickly as is ethically requiredbut the method is best left with the woods. [/qoute]

enough said! time will do it ; but how much time and what the animal goes through.most of the time there in shock, so no problem there.I have had to catch a deer and use a knife on three different occasions.it is not a pretty sight,if only someone had a camera. .

if the animal is not mortially wounded , then you don't want to try and catch one, "Bad Mistake." I guess it all depends on the area and the person,and you laws.
you did the right thang.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 AM

When I come across deer hit by a car or I hit a deer I just walk up and cut the jugular veins. It allows them to bleed out real quick. I would use this at your own risk. My Grandfather got kicked in the nuts once doing this so I would be careful.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Knife, either slice the throat or puncture the lungs. I carry a Sog Seal knife in my car and when I hunt just for that reason. A K-Bar or something simular would work as well. I have had to do it a few times. I walk around the deer and aproach it from the back side (opposite end of the feet, not the butt) that way I can't get kicked. I walk up calmly and put the knife thru the lungs and back up. Only takes few seconds. Then I wait for the deer to expire. Not a pretty sight but it works. Same thing that happens when you bow hunt, you just don't always see it.

The reason I use the larger knife is because I know It's long enough and sharp enough to go thru both lungs with a quick poke to the hilt.

If it's on the side of the road you can call a sherrif and they will do the deed with shotgun or something sometimes.

If a deer doesn't get up and run when you walk up it doesn't have a whole lot of fight left in it, or energy. I have drug injured deer off the road while still alive and they didn't have the energy to hurt me.

Paul
Old 12-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Throw a rope around it's neck and string him up to suffocate.
I hope your joking.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, many here say go up and cut his throat, but has anyone here seen someone that has been kicked in the leg, chest or stomach by a dying deer? Whichever wayyou decide to expire it, be very careful how you approach it.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fortunatly, I have been able to avoid having to do this but
If the knife through the lungs is a good idea would it be wise to cut a long (8-10 foot) tree limb and duct tape the knife to it?
I cant see walking up to it and cutting its throat. Just seems too dangerous
Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not real safe to dispatch a deer with a knife. Especially if there is only one of you. Even though I've do it a few times, it should be used only as a last option, and done extremely careful

Quick Reply: How to dispatch a wounded deer legally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.