Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best way to dispatch a wounded bird? >

Best way to dispatch a wounded bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best way to dispatch a wounded bird?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Best way to dispatch a wounded bird?

I plan on hunting with a bow and because I am not planning on trying any head shots I can see where there could be the possibility of a hit that would allow for a good retrieve but with the bird still alive. Any recommendations on how to put it down cleanley and humanely?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best way to dispatch a wounded bird?

Well, I don't know how clean and humane it is...but I bust me a$$ after the bird after the shot and step of his head until he dies. I don't know.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I usually squash his brains if he's still squirmin'.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually step on his neck and make sure the spurs are not gonna nail me, and then lift it by the head, and give the neck a good twist
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I usually step on his neck and make sure the spurs are not gonna nail me, and then lift it by the head, and give the neck a good twist
Same here, thats what I do when a bird is flopping even if I cut him with the scattergun. I don't imagine that when I stick one I will do things much differently.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Last year I just gripped my turkey by the head and firmly pulled. It separated the vertebrae and stretched the spinal cord (something like that). According to my prof at the time, this is the standard method of humanely killing chickens, ducks, and other poultry.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say let the bird die on it's own... I'm figuring that if you hit it good enough to let you run up and grab it's neck then it's prob not long for the world anyhow...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not so sure Mr Longbeard, my 1st bird last year was a tom dropped at 35yrds, I casually left the blind and walked up to the kicking bird. He kept kicking so I lit a celebratory cigarette and waited, at the end of my smoke he was still kicking, then started to flop away, then gained his feet. I hit him again at 10yrds and pretty much took his head off, I wish I had just finished him when I 1st got there.
Waterfowl I just grasp the head and spin the body around, don't think that a good idea with a turkey, I agree that stepping on base of neck and pulling on head would be effective.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM

i give the turkey 30-40 seconds to expire on its own. if you put a vital hit on the turkey it will expire less than 30 seconds. if worst comes to worse grab the turkey's 2 legs in your left hand then use your right knee to pin down the flapping wings, flip out your knife and slit its throat. that is the fastest most humane way to kill a wounded turkey.
good luck.
all im using this year is a bow. have fun trying to draw back on them!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

If you don't want to mess up the feathers just push down on his wings with your arms.Lay your body over him reach over pull one of your arms out and twist his neck.That way feathers don't fly everywhere.

Quick Reply: Best way to dispatch a wounded bird?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.