Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys in the wind

Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys in the wind

How do you hunt turkeys in 15-25mph winds? do they stick to the woods? are they vocal? how would you hunt turkeys on a windy day, if it has any affect at all.?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys in the wind

woods not a chance in heck. to much noise and movement from the limbs and leaves. it cancels out their two best senses.
i would find a field or pasture and set back in a corner or something so you can kinda use the trees for a windblock.
you will also need a higher pitched (louder)call.
it can be done but it just presents another challenge to us a hunters
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Spike

I went out Sat 26th, wind here was around 20. I sat on a field edge nest to a wooded area and used the wind to help carry my call into the woods. Within minutes had 2 birds responding, took the one that came in first.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted the opener out in the black hills this year in the middle of the worst bilizzard we had seen all year and inspite of the 25 to 30 mph norht winds and the less than 1/8mile visibility we were able to tag out opening day on two nice birds. We found an open meadow that was about 30 acres and wet up out of the wind in no time we had birds piling into the meadow around us. this simple tactic has work for me several times and it is what I prefer to do.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Can I hijack this thread slightly? (Thanks! ) I've heard the hunt open areas and not the woods thing too, but although I have hunted plenty of windy days, I cannot seem to find the turkeys. The fields are empty. The terrain here is flat as a pancake so there are no hollows down low that shelter from the wind. Flat woods and open fields are the terrain I have to hunt. The birds are not in the fields so they have to be somewhere in the woods. I just don't know where. Maybe they are hanging out just on the edges. I guess those are the areas to hunt? Any thoughts for hunting windy days in flat terrain and fields empty of birds? thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is my season and it is windy. yesterday I had the wind and I used it to carry my call. didn't matter only a hen came in. then I left that spot and to another. Saw one tom in small field skirting the edge with two hens. with all the sticks and grass moving around, I crawled up to within 80 yards of them and sat up behind a tree. nothing better happened after that, he did the whole " I have two hens already, why should I come to you thing". and then roosted.

So to answer the question. I like to stalk hunt in the wind. Deer and Turkeys.