Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys and Wind???

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkeys and Wind???

Hunted for 3 hours before work this morning, wind was blowing 25-30mph out of the northwest. Yesterday it was calm and we saw quite a few turkeys and heard plenty of gobbling. Tody we didn't see any turkeys and only heard one or two gobbles all morning. I was just wondering if the wind plays a big role on how turkeys behave in the morning? Do they seek out areas sheltered from the wind? Any help would be great. Thanks and good luck this season!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys and Wind???

Not sure being relatively new at this but yesterday was calm in the morning with a lot of gobbling. The wind kicked up on the ridge I was at so bad I had to hold on to my blind to keep it from blowing away. Gave up early. I do not have access to the wooded valleys /ravines and If I was a turkey I'd have stayed out of the wind. BTW, the wind will make it really difficult to hear birds or for them ro hear you.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate hunting in a strong wind. This season has been extremely windy. Yes, it does affect how the turkeys act. I have killed a few in high winds, but just a few. Probably the worst thing about hunting on windy days is that it's hard for you to hear the turkey. He could be only 100 yards away gobbling, and you may never hear him. Their hearing is impaired also, but they can still hear you further than you can hear him. On very windy days, try hunting low areas such as bottoms or valleys. Anywhere they can escape the high winds and feel safer. You can kill turkeys on windy days no doubt, you just need to be a little more observant and patient. If the wind is blowing 25 or more, I usually just stay in, but not always. I did though, kill one last year with winds gusting to 30-35. I just got lucky I guess. He was close enough to where I could hear him. Go ahead and give it a try and good luck. I would rather be out turkey hunting in the wind than sitting at home.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I've watched them sit on the roostmost of themorning when it's real windy. They'll usually come down before too long for food, water, or sometimes the urge to get busy.

That scenario, in my experience, they usually will hot foot it out to an open field or open area where they can get a lookin every direction for safety's sake.

The wind makes too much of a ruckus and they're not comfy when they can only use their eyes as defense without the aid of their hearing...which is pretty decent.