Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How close to the roost?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Default How close to the roost?

This is my third season hunting gobblers, and I've taken taken 1 bird each year so far. Bothoccasions were in the later morning hours (10-11am)My question is,how close should I be trying to get while a bird is on the roost? How well is their night vision??
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How close to the roost?

I'm not sure how well their night vision is, but I wouldnt be surprised if its really good. I like to stay about 100 yards at least from their roosting tree. That way you can still easily get their attention with your calls, but still stay far enough away where they wont spot you.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I'm not sure how well their night vision is, but I wouldnt be surprised if its really good. I like to stay about 100 yards at least from their roosting tree. That way you can still easily get their attention with your calls, but still stay far enough away where they wont spot you.
ditto
Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

My experience is that they don't see too well when it is dark. I have walked right under a roosting bird in the dark and didn't know it was there until it started to gobble at daybreak. When I am setting up on a roosting bird I usually get about 75 to 100 yards from it if it is dark and quiet walking. I try to set up between the bird and the nearest field since he will head that way as soon as he rounds up all the hens that are usually roosted there too. When I am in that situation I don't call much and let the birds work towards me. For the record most of my bigger birds have come late morning and are usually alone or with just a few hens. I find aggressive calling works best with them.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

my best roost hunt i was pretty much UNDERNEATH the birds. dont ask me how i did it lol...im almost positive the birds were awake and gobbling too...i thought they were farther than they were..stepped into the woods and said MAN! they are RIGHT there. silly me still called to them while they were in the tree...no decoys...95% of the time they will look for the hen and never pitch down to you if they are that close and can see well....sure enough 2 longbeards pitched down within range....i carried out a 3yo! cant remember if there were more...i just remember 2 longbeards...didnt even look at the other one..saw mine had a good beard and sent a load his way...

normally, i will setu as close as i can get without them seeing me...if i mess up and get TOO close i wont call till they hit the ground because i dont hunt with decoys...ive had it happen many times..call to them on the tree and they sit there for an hour looking for the hen...or they just pitch down the other way immediately because they didnt see the hen and thought they should have...terrain and foliage plays a big part in it...if they cant see where "the hen" is i will do a soft tree call..then a couple minutes later a fly down cackle and fly down with my hat...