Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roost

Old 04-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default roost

will a bird come back if you bump him off the roost?last night i had birds come in (fly up)really close.within 30 or 40 yrds if that.i saw one was a nice tom.as it was getting darker i used a crow call to see if there were more gobblers with him.i used to crow call and 2 gobbled.but the tom i could see got nervous and fly off.i heard him land again but not in sight.i dont know if he saw me or if i was just to loud with the call.the other tom stayed put.any advise?do you think he will still be there?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: roost

If you heard him land he isn't too far off. He will probably stay right where he is. I doubt very much that he will move back to the tree you saw him in overnight. Go back in the morning and try to get set up within 75-100 yds of where you think he landed. Keep in mind the bird you heard and didn't see may be a shooter as well.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

oh ill be back checking.are season dont open till the 30th of this month.thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 03:59 PM

I have actually heard some guys will do this on purpose. Make some type of noise hoping that one or two of the birds will seperate. Thus upon your arrival in the morning, there are birds in multiple locations. so the flock will try to relocate in the morning and will be more likely to come to your calls thinking you are a member of the busted flock. Does it really work? I have no idea, but if I did accidentally bust the flock the evening before I would be in the middle of them in the AM and try to convince everyone to come my way...
Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 PM

They may not roost in the same tree, most likely they will stay in the same area, especially if they are with other birds. If your season doesn't open for a few days, back off and check back later.