Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Try calling them in. Or set up a pop-up blind where they enter and exit the field to and from roosting or watering areas. Study these birds figure ot there patterns and try and get em in close and get em with a shotgun.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turkeygirl2

Might want to re-think what your saying about damn bird...watch the language. If you just want to shoot it at 200 yards just because you can and to you it's just a bird to shoot....might want to re-think why you are "hunting".

Turkeys are an awesome creature, very smart, and deserve more respect.

Yeah I agree with you. Turkey hunting is about getting them within range (40 yards or closer), NOT "shooting" at 200 yards. Thats just BS if you ask me. Centerfire rifles for turkey hunting is just plain rediculous, I dont care what anyone says. In other words, put away the calls and they decoys, and even the blinds. Just wait for a turkey to come within a miles range, zoom in on the 20X scope,and peg the dang thing. Yeah, real "hunting" alright.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

END OF DISCUSSION>>>>Centerfire rifles are legal to harvest turkey here in Florida, as long as it bullet capacity is not greater than 5. Only Shotguns and Rimfire are allowed on WMA's.Afew do not allow even Rimfire, each WMA has its own guidelines. I would love to see everything other than a bow, BP SHOTGUN, and Shotgun made as illegal to use. I know and have seen the birds some guys I know have shot, even with a 204, just this year, THERE IS NOTHING LEFT WORTH EATING WHICH MEAN IT WAS SHOT JUST TO SAY,"I SHOT A GOBBLER WITH A BEARD". It's legal and you can shoot em all on your property if ya want, but you will not experience the REAL thrill of a turkey hunt until you call one in to shotgun range and harvest him. Sure you will get aggravated when he flies the other way or stays out there at 60-70 yards with hens and you can't shoot, but if you want to shoot, WAl-Mart sells turkey targets cheap and you wont be wasting meat and a hunt thatsomeone else can use.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

END OF DISCUSSION>>>>Centerfire rifles are legal to harvest turkey here in Florida, as long as it bullet capacity is not greater than 5. Only Shotguns and Rimfire are allowed on WMA's.Afew do not allow even Rimfire, each WMA has its own guidelines. I would love to see everything other than a bow, BP SHOTGUN, and Shotgun made as illegal to use. I know and have seen the birds some guys I know have shot, even with a 204, just this year, THERE IS NOTHING LEFT WORTH EATING WHICH MEAN IT WAS SHOT JUST TO SAY,"I SHOT A GOBBLER WITH A BEARD". It's legal and you can shoot em all on your property if ya want, but you will not experience the REAL thrill of a turkey hunt until you call one in to shotgun range and harvest him. Sure you will get aggravated when he flies the other way or stays out there at 60-70 yards with hens and you can't shoot, but if you want to shoot, WAl-Mart sells turkey targets cheap and you wont be wasting meat and a hunt thatsomeone else can use.

Just my 2 cents!
Hell yeah x2
Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya wanna shoot a turkey at 200 yards with a rifle, you may as well go to the supermarket, get a butterball, and shoot it all you want. Its just as sporting. Save the live birds for an up close and personal hunt that will get you pumped!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

This is a very good post and I agree with most of it. However, Who are we to say this guy can't kill one with a Rifle?? Maybe FL has to many turkeys and are wanting to get rid of so many. They don't have enough of Turkey Hunters to get rid of them so they need these guys to use a Centerfire, I don't know? I don't care if he Uses a Canonor Drops a Bomb from a plane if its Legal. I don't think a person should kill a Gobbler in the Fall. But some do. Shoot one off the Roost, but some do. I have been so discourged that I might have done just that.

Just think how it looks to him. Setting up a blind and calling the Bird to 20 Yards. How, easy that must be? Shoot one's head off at 250 is much more sporting, giving the bird a chance! It can be argured both ways, but you and I know the best way is to call in that Old Bird, let him answer our calls and watch him come that 200 Yards in Full Strut. Don't be so hard on the guy!

Just my 2 Cents

TF
Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay this peeked my interest so I went to look at Florida's 2007-2008 Hunting regualtions
http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/0708FLHunt_web2.pdf
On page 14 it states
Legal methods of taking game
Definition of “taking” wildlife: Taking
is defined to include taking, attempting to take, pursuing, hunting, harassing, capturing or killing any wildlife
Resident game birds and mammals:
Rifles, shotguns, pistols, longbows, compound bows, recurve bows, crossbows and birds of prey (falcons, hawks and great horned owls) may be used. Longbows, compound bows, recurve bows and crossbows
must have minimum draw weights of 35 pounds. Hand-held releases may be used. Arrows
used to take deer, turkeys or hogs must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with minimum widths of 7/8 inch. Nonmigratory game can be taken from stationary vehicles.

And

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game
• Centerfire, semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds
• Nonexpanding, full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer
• Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking
deer
• Rifles or pistols for taking migratory game birds
• Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms

It says nothing about taking/harvesting/shooting a turkey with a rifle "Residents" at all. If that was illegal it would be there.

So I do teach Hunter Education - I would call a game warden to discuss but to me your Centerfire rifle capable of not holding more than5 Rounds in the magazine - which we all know is the device to hold extra shells is leagal.

Why would I call a warden or one of the people listed in this publication?
On page 2
Introduction are defintions

Introduction
This publication is provided as a guide to Florida hunting laws and regulations; however, the Florida Wildlife Code is the final authority on hunting laws. The Florida Wildlife Code, Chapter 68A of the Florida Administrative Code, can be obtained at http://fac.dos.state.fl.us. The FWC strives to ensure the information in this publication is accurate but assumes no liability for typographical errors that may occur. If you have questions regarding hunting laws and regulations, contact an FWC regional office (see below). This publication is valid from July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008.
Resident game birds, mammals and migratory birds
Resident game birds - quail and wild turkeys
• Resident game mammals - deer, gray squirrels and rabbits
• Migratory game birds - ducks, geese, common moorhens, coots, snipe, rails, woodcocks, crows, mourning doves and white-winged doves
• Protected mammals - Florida black bears, fox squirrels and Florida panthers cannot be taken or pursued.

Hope this helps -

JW
Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i didn't know it was called turkey killing, i thought it was turkey hunting.....
Old 04-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Being a turkey is a federal migratory bird, I beleive its against the law to use any rifle on a turkey no matter what state you hunt in. Shotguns, bows, and cross bows are the onlyweapons legal to use in most states. but check deeper for your state. you dont want any federal charges against you.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 AM

I don't get the "hunters berating other hunters" attitude. If it is legal to use a rifle during spring turkey season so be it. Just because you or I don't agree with that method of hunting doesn't make it wrong. The negativity sounds so much like the "crossbows shouldn't be allowed during archery season" or the ".410 is not an ethical caliber for deer" or "you shouldn't be hunting deer with dogs", etc., etc.

If it is legal, than it is legal. Period.

Quick Reply: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.