Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

I am in an argument in regards to the legal method of taking a turkey. I see several turkeys just about every time I go out but usually at about 200 yards. I thought my 204 would be a great solution but I have been told that centerfire firearms are illegal here in Florida. I went to their website and here is what I pulled.....

PROHBITIONS

Using centerfire, semiautomatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds; using fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms.

So if my rifle has a max capacity of 4 rounds including one in the chamber is it legal to shoot a turkey with it. I would like someone with definite knowledge to help me before I screw up and get a fine.

Thank you,

Chris.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Using centerfire,
that about say's it doesn't it? Why would you want to shoot a turkey at 200 yards anyway?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree with Charlie - you never got past the first two words in the regulations - "Using Centerfire" - it don't matter how many rounds that gun holds - even one is Illegal.

JW
Old 04-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Im from florida , and yes it seems legal,on your own private property!!but to most, unethical.in some areas down right unsafe due to the fact that all turkey hunters are clad head to toe in camo. almost anything is legal by state reg's to kill a turkey, even buck shot, 2 weeks ago a hunter in polk county was sadly killed by buckshot.....,so be safe out there..... if your on public wma's , you will have to obey that areas regulations, like some only allow shotguns, and others will allow rimfire rifles. call the fwc at 954 746 1789 and they will be happy to assist you.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I am on my own property. I am very sure of every shot I take. The way the rule is written it seems to say centerfire....with a comma. Not just centerfire. The way it is written it seems that if your rifle only handles 4 or less you are ok. for the person that said why shoot them at 200 yards....you should try for a head shot at that range and let us know how you do. Where I am I can take a turkey at 20yards all day, also I just question the way it is written. Thank you all for your help and maybe a FWC person will see this and clarify the writing for me.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Might want to re-think what your saying about damn bird...watch the language. If you just want to shoot it at 200 yards just because you can and to you it's just a bird to shoot....might want to re-think why you are "hunting".

Turkeys are an awesome creature, very smart, and deserve more respect.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I read it, it seems that using centerfire rifles are ok unless it holds more than 5 rounds.I'd call just in case.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If so - I stand corrected as I do know a few states allow rtfles.

JW
Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry I typed "damn" but I got into an hour or longer "discussion" with my father in law on legality when I typed the title. I just want to know who is correct.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

I am on my own property. I am very sure of every shot I take. The way the rule is written it seems to say centerfire....with a comma. Not just centerfire. The way it is written it seems that if your rifle only handles 4 or less you are ok. for the person that said why shoot them at 200 yards....you should try for a head shot at that range and let us know how you do. Where I am I can take a turkey at 20yards all day, also I just question the way it is written. Thank you all for your help and maybe a FWC person will see this and clarify the writing for me.

I read it the same way as you snook... centerfire as used in this context is an appositive.. not the subject itself.

As to the way you hunt, it is your business. I'd call the DNR and ask for clarification just to be certain, otherwise good luck.

Quick Reply: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.