Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

ATurkey in any state is not a Federal Migratory bird - go back and do your research.

X2 drdi

JW
Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

you should try for a head shot at that range and let us know how you do. Where I am I can take a turkey at 20yards all day, also I just question the way it is written.
So you want to do this to make turkey hunting more of a challenge?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Being a turkey is a federal migratory bird, I beleive its against the law to use any rifle on a turkey no matter what state you hunt in. Shotguns, bows, and cross bows are the onlyweapons legal to use in most states. but check deeper for your state. you dont want any federal charges against you.
I am pretty sure Turkeys are not federal migratory birds.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM

I dont know about anybody else but that is against all i believe in .in hunting turkeys you should be up close and be able to get them with a shotgun or a bow.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Hick.I dont care how many turkeys are in one area, shooting a turkey with a centerfire rifle is NOT turkey hunting. N-O-T NOT. Many states have regulations on shooting them with rifles for a reason. Can we use bazookas too? Whatever. Turkey hunting with a rifle isnt turkey hunting andno one can change my mind.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Right or wrong we have to remember we are all hunters, outdoorsman, and sportsman. If we start disagreeing on something those fools from PETA will be all over it. What ever floats your boat, wether it be shotgun, rifle, bow, crossbow, etc. We are all in this together.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Being a turkey is a federal migratory bird, I beleive its against the law to use any rifle on a turkey no matter what state you hunt in. Shotguns, bows, and cross bows are the only weapons legal to use in most states. but check deeper for your state. you dont want any federal charges against you.

That is just simply retarded. Turkeys are not a federally regulated migratory species. Don't make up crap like that... someone might take you seriously.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drdi

I don't get the "hunters berating other hunters" attitude. If it is legal to use a rifle during spring turkey season so be it. Just because you or I don't agree with that method of hunting doesn't make it wrong. The negativity sounds so much like the "crossbows shouldn't be allowed during archery season" or the ".410 is not an ethical caliber for deer" or "you shouldn't be hunting deer with dogs", etc., etc.

If it is legal, than it is legal. Period.

x2

Nothing like a bunch of crap from the peanut gallery.... who are you to condemn how another decides to pursue game? Espeically when NO LAWS ARE BEING BROKEN! Heck if you treat someone who is trying to follow the law this way... all of you ought to be out on the highway throwing bricks at speeding cars..... ethics police use lethal force!

Threads like this show the deep, black heart of hunting... and what is going to ultimately be the end of it.... hunters vs hunters.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My main concern with a rifle is the saftey factor... (though, personally huting turkeys with a rifle doesn't sound like fun either - if I wanted target practice I'd just head to the range)

Imagine a kid and dad setup hiding in some tree's with a couple of deeks and some other clown starts pumping lead into the air at a couple of hundred yards with his '06... It may be legal - but it shouldn't be - just my two cents...

I believe you can legally shoot turkeys on their roost right out of the tree south of the border, but that doesn't make it 'right'....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Not in Florida - specifically states in the regs - "shooting a trukey from the roost is illegal."

JW

Quick Reply: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.