Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!! >

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help Me NOT go to JAIL over a damn BIRD!!!

Easy situation for someone to get shot???
It almost sounds like you assume that everyone takes pot shots at decoys, like I said be sure of your target. Period.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: drdi

I don't get the "hunters berating other hunters" attitude. If it is legal to use a rifle during spring turkey season so be it. Just because you or I don't agree with that method of hunting doesn't make it wrong. The negativity sounds so much like the "crossbows shouldn't be allowed during archery season" or the ".410 is not an ethical caliber for deer" or "you shouldn't be hunting deer with dogs", etc., etc.

If it is legal, than it is legal. Period.
Amen
Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sixgunluvr

Easy situation for someone to get shot???
It almost sounds like you assume that everyone takes pot shots at decoys, like I said be sure of your target. Period.
LMAO! What do you have to prove man? I don't understand it. I simply said rifles being allowed for spring turkey season would make that season more dangerous. Never said you take pot shots at decoys, just that with todays decoys, many people could easily mistake them for the real thing. Heck some people even use the real thing with mounted decoys.

Im sure you and your dad are safe ethical hunters, however, not everyone is like you. There are just enough unsafe hunters out there that would make me think twice before hiding in unspottable camo 20 yards behind my full strut decoy while some yahoo is prowling the woods with his .223. My personal opinion, but I would feel uneasy with my odds.

i'm fine with anyone who does it legally, I think thats great. I just said rifles entering the equation makes it more dangerous. PERIOD. There is no disputing this, rifles with no hunter orange = more of a hazard. Why do you think hunter orange is mandatory for rifle season? I'm sure every single deer hunter checks his shot too, right?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks y'all, I love to hunt turkeys, or "shoot 'em" either way, it's all good! You say "potatoe" and I say "potato"!!

Here's a couple of birds taken by an "ethical" method, I threw a rock at the side of an old tractor anda spring was knocked off the motor it traveled about 20 yards and hit both these Toms in the foot, one of them flipped up in the air, landed on his head and broke his neck and the otherdied of laughter! How's that for "hunting" ????

People say all kinds of stuff on here, don't believe everything you read.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

I am in an argument in regards to the legal method of taking a turkey. I see several turkeys just about every time I go out but usually at about 200 yards. I thought my 204 would be a great solution but I have been told that centerfire firearms are illegal here in Florida. I went to their website and here is what I pulled.....

PROHBITIONS

Using centerfire, semiautomatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds; using fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms.

So if my rifle has a max capacity of 4 rounds including one in the chamber is it legal to shoot a turkey with it. I would like someone with definite knowledge to help me before I screw up and get a fine.

Thank you,

Chris.

That doesnt explain enough to make an assumption whether a rifle is legal or not for turkey hunting. If I were you Id make a phone call to your local G&F office and get the full scoop on the poop. Id hate to see ya get into trouble.

To the guy bagging on folks wanting to use rifles for turkey hunting you should try turkey hunting out west where in most cases rifles are the only way because of the lack of cover. Here In AZ we can use everything from a 17 rimfire and up on turkey during the fall season. Spring turkey is shotgun and archery only because that time of year the birds respond to calls.

It don't matter how you get'r done aslong as you get'r done aslong as it puts meat in the freezer thats all that matters.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Get a hold of your states wildlife commision to clear that up