Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roost time?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Roost time?

I'm a new turkey hunter in Michigan. What time in the eveningshould I be out tying to locatebirds in the evening? I want to do some scouting without stiring up the woods too much. I KNOW there are plenty of turkeys in the area. I'm hunting about 30 acres of woods surounded by cabbage and sweet corn fields ontwo sides, homes on one, and a creek on the otheron my friends farm. I've been doing my reading and calling practice, but any other tips would be great too. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roost time?

They usually go up into the trees as it is getting too dark to see well. Don't sneek out until you are sure they won't be able to see you. Don't use a flashlight.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my first season out in the turkey woods as well. When im tryin to locate these birds, do I need to take my locator call, or should they be plenty vocal on their own?

Also- can you establish roosting areas in the morning as well, with the same approach.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

I try to make it to the woods about 30 minutes before sunset and wait and listen. I myself dont venture into the woods as I have some vantage points on each property I hunt. I will use a crow call, owl hooter or a gobbler tube to try and spark a gobble. I will attempt to get them to gobble around sunset...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

either an owl call or coyote call works best late in the evening. about 30 min before sunset. get on a high spot and keep your ears open. and unless there are high winds or a heavy rain they will most likely be there in the morning too.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Get out there before sunrise and just listen. You will hear where they roost. Do not use a turkey call because you do not want to educate the turkeys before you even get a chance to hunt them. If you cant make it out in the morning, go out just before dark and use a locator call and listen for a shock gobble. I really like crow calls. you will know where that tom is roosting and he will be there for you in the morning to hunt. Good luck to you this year.