Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Experts turkey hunting ? >

Experts turkey hunting ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Experts turkey hunting ?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Experts turkey hunting ?

Why do these guys make turkey hunting sound like a black at ? I went to a seminar and when I left I don't know how I ever killed one. Maybe I don'T hunt enough. I've killed 1-2 turkeys every Spring for 45 yrs all I use is a single call,my single shot 12,full choke and a cammo shirt and hat.
If I took all the stuff they had for sale I would need a burro to carry it. No wonder a guy starting out is so confused. Heck I even caught a turkey once with my bare hands, he was stuck in a woven wire fence after I scared him and he took off running. Still got the scars to prove it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Experts turkey hunting ?

ORIGINAL: Hard Luck

Why do these guys make turkey hunting sound like a black at ? I went to a seminar and when I left I don't know how I ever killed one. Maybe I don'T hunt enough. I've killed 1-2 turkeys every Spring for 45 yrs all I use is a single call,my single shot 12,full choke and a cammo shirt and hat.
If I took all the stuff they had for sale I would need a burro to carry it. No wonder a guy starting out is so confused. Heck I even caught a turkey once with my bare hands, he was stuck in a woven wire fence after I scared him and he took off running. Still got the scars to prove it.

Thats an easy one.

You gotta keep in mind that a Pro Staffer is little short of a field experienced salesman. I'm living proof that you don't have to be a super expert hunter to be a pro staffer. You do need to know what you are talking about of course, but mostly you need to be friendly, approachable, tactful, and somewhat business minded.

As a customer, or a member of the audience at a turkey seminar (I'm on stage more than in the audience these days), I'd say just keep an open mind. You can't really expect a semiar to be like a church sermon... full of lessons and answers. What you should look for is just a little tip, or small trick that may work here or there.

I'll tell you Hard Luck... there are LOTS of ways to kill turkeys. Most seminars cover topics and products that are most likely to appeal to the hunters in the target market. Right now, that is relatively young hunters (20-35 years old) with a bit of disposable income that are just getting into turkey hunting, or have been turkey hunting 5 springs or fewer. Most of these newer hunters are looking for ways to get ahead. They don't have a lot of patience. They like to "run and gun". They think they have to find a hot bird in order to be successful. They look at folks on TV and how they start out in the morning with a bird roaring from the roost, they set up some $100 decoys... and here they all come. Most of us know... it doesn't work that way.

You, like myself, probably learned turkey hunting from actually turkey hunting. And we will probably agree that you can kill the snot out of turkeys if you know the property, and understand turkeys...and you can do it with suprisingly little besides camoflauge, a comfortable seat, a simple call, and a pocketful of patience. Most people now would rather learn it on TV, on the net, or at a seminar. There is nothing wrong with seminars, they can be full of great advice and useful tips... you just have to take them for what they are... opinionated, experience based knowledge, with an underlying sales pitch.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

These experts are all employed by some manufacture that wants every hunter to BUY, BUY ,BUY their products.Notice how you never see any of these EXPERTS hunting highly pressured turkeys on some game lands in PA,or any other public over hunted tract of land, on there show.Most of them are pushing some outfitter that also wants to SELL, SELL,SELL.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

SIMPLE TO ME HARD LUCK -
YOU HAVE DEVELOPED EXCELLENT WOODSMANSHIP SKILLS - YOU KNOW YOUR QUARRY

I forone ('bet' <- am taking this word out) KNOWNI could learn a great deal from you!

JW

Ps came back to edit!
Old 03-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah a lot of these seminars are interesting, but some things they say sound like you have to be at a certain rank to execute these "tactics". Like SwampCollie said, on TV they always show setting up near roosted birds, setting up decoys, a little calling and get ready to shoot. That definetly doesnt work every time.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go to them, they all preach the same thing, same products... different names.... all that crap.
I use the same stuff every year, seminars are to sell stuff to the rich guys who just hunt to prove something, most of the time they dont even eat the game.
I agree with you.... Simple..
I take out very little.....
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ultimag

These experts are all employed by some manufacture that wants every hunter to BUY, BUY ,BUY their products.Notice how you never see any of these EXPERTS hunting highly pressured turkeys on some game lands in PA,or any other public over hunted tract of land, on there show.Most of them are pushing some outfitter that also wants to SELL, SELL,SELL.
Now come on, not all of us hunt at Outfitters, mater of fact I have only hunted at one Outfitters land and I did score the same as the other 16 years of hunting management lands and crown lands.

Seminars are all done differently. Not every prostaff out there, does them the same, if you want to see something different you need to sit in one of mine. I do however have to talk about the companies that support me and that is only fair, as part of basket, but again these companies help with the success I have in the woods. I do also bring up items that are a benefit to me in the woods and if itworks for me and could be a great tool for you too, I tell you about it and receive nothing from them, I paid for it in the first place.

I also not only tell you about a product that I may stand behind, I show you how to use it too. Seminars are not given toa Prostaffer to do for a company; they are formed from the staffer and presented by the staffer that does them. This makes everyone different and everyone you could possibly learn from as well.

Hunters that all ready know most of everything will not learn a lot, but Hunters that want to pick up a tip and listen for that something different will collect what he showed up for.

As far as I'm concerned Seminars are one of the best learning tools out there and I don't care how many birds you have killed or how long you have hunted, you will hear something from mine that you have not heard of before I hold nothing back on the stage.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Adrian, I meant to say tthat most experts on the outdoor channel.LOL
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Hard Luck

Thats an easy one.

You gotta keep in mind that a Pro Staffer is little short of a field experienced salesman. I'm living proof that you don't have to be a super expert hunter to be a pro staffer. You do need to know what you are talking about of course, but mostly you need to be friendly, approachable, tactful, and somewhat business minded.

As a customer, or a member of the audience at a turkey seminar (I'm on stage more than in the audience these days), I'd say just keep an open mind. You can't really expect a semiar to be like a church sermon... full of lessons and answers. What you should look for is just a little tip, or small trick that may work here or there.

I'll tell you Hard Luck... there are LOTS of ways to kill turkeys. Most seminars cover topics and products that are most likely to appeal to the hunters in the target market. Right now, that is relatively young hunters (20-35 years old) with a bit of disposable income that are just getting into turkey hunting, or have been turkey hunting 5 springs or fewer. Most of these newer hunters are looking for ways to get ahead. They don't have a lot of patience. They like to "run and gun". They think they have to find a hot bird in order to be successful. They look at folks on TV and how they start out in the morning with a bird roaring from the roost, they set up some $100 decoys... and here they all come. Most of us know... it doesn't work that way.

You, like myself, probably learned turkey hunting from actually turkey hunting. And we will probably agree that you can kill the snot out of turkeys if you know the property, and understand turkeys...and you can do it with suprisingly little besides camoflauge, a comfortable seat, a simple call, and a pocketful of patience. Most people now would rather learn it on TV, on the net, or at a seminar. There is nothing wrong with seminars, they can be full of great advice and useful tips... you just have to take them for what they are... opinionated, experience based knowledge, with an underlying sales pitch.
lol...that is funny, because isn't that why most are on this site, to learn about hunting, I think besides going outdoors and learning hands on, learning from other people is the best way to learn, expetually on the net, I don't need to go to seminars, because I have people like you to teach me, and you won't sell me some $100 decoy, so thanks!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell most of you guy arent

Quick Reply: Experts turkey hunting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.