Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is the worst mistake you have made hunting? >

What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM

Default RE: What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

2) always unload the gun before crossing a fence
I have to disagree with this. While this is taught in most of the safety hunter courses and sometimes appears as a test question, in the real world, it is not the right thing to do IMO. Reason? Loading and unloading of the gun is the point at which many accidents can and do occur. You're much better off laying the gun on the opposite side of the fence on the ground or against the fence. Then, WALK AWAY about 10 feet and cross the fence. Once on the other side, go get the gun and continue on. If you're with a friend, let them hold the guns while you cross. Then carefully hand the guns over and let the other person cross. Or, both of you can lay the guns over the fence and walk away about 10 feet like mentioned above.

Likewise, I have some friends who debate the merits of unloading the gun when going up a tree stand. Some feel that it is safer to sling the gun securely over the body, leave it loaded and then get into the stand. The theory being a) unloading/loading the gun is a dangerous step and b) that hoisting the gun up via a pull-rope is prone to having several things go wrong. One of which could be making a mistake in unloading the gun. Personally, I'm for unloading the firearm and using a pull rope when it comes to climbing trees and I preach that method whenever I help teach hunter safety courses.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MJL927

2) always unload the gun before crossing a fence
I have to disagree with this. While this is taught in most of the safety hunter courses and sometimes appears as a test question, in the real world, it is not the right thing to do IMO. Reason? Loading and unloading of the gun is the point at which many accidents can and do occur. You're much better off laying the gun on the opposite side of the fence on the ground or against the fence. Then, WALK AWAY about 10 feet and cross the fence. Once on the other side, go get the gun and continue on. If you're with a friend, let them hold the guns while you cross. Then carefully hand the guns over and let the other person cross. Or, both of you can lay the guns over the fence and walk away about 10 feet like mentioned above.

Likewise, I have some friends who debate the merits of unloading the gun when going up a tree stand. Some feel that it is safer to sling the gun securely over the body, leave it loaded and then get into the stand. The theory being a) unloading/loading the gun is a dangerous step and b) that hoisting the gun up via a pull-rope is prone to having several things go wrong. One of which could be making a mistake in unloading the gun. Personally, I'm for unloading the firearm and using a pull rope when it comes to climbing trees and I preach that method whenever I help teach hunter safety courses.

I can understand your logic there MJL. It could be argued either way. What I will say, and I suspect what everyone will agree on, is that being careful, using your head, and practicing safe firearms handling techniques (which includes always pointing your muzzle in a safe direction) will help keep everyone safe.

I don't think that unloading your firearm in a reasonable manner can anymore dangerous than any other time a firearm is loaded, if it is, then either 1) you're firearm's internal safety mechanisms have been compromised, 2) the user has broken a safe handling rule, such as placing their finger inside the trigger guard. Guns don't just "go off". Something has to happen to make them go off. Smokeless powder, primers etc are some of the most stable combustables there are... much more stable than even gasoline. There are things that can make a gun fire without the user intending it to, but there is ALWAYS a reason behind it.

But again, as you pointed out, the method you teach is certainly safe as well. And it goes to show that taking a little time to be careful will always help keep everyone safe.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 AM

I don't think that unloading your firearm in a reasonable manner can anymore dangerous than any other time a firearm is loaded, if it is, then either 1) you're firearm's internal safety mechanisms have been compromised, 2) the user has broken a safe handling rule, such as placing their finger inside the trigger guard. Guns don't just "go off". Something has to happen to make them go off. Smokeless powder, primers etc are some of the most stable combustables there are... much more stable than even gasoline. There are things that can make a gun fire without the user intending it to, but there is ALWAYS a reason behind it.

But again, as you pointed out, the method you teach is certainly safe as well. And it goes to show that taking a little time to be careful will always help keep everyone safe.
Couldn't agree more. Guns don't just go off without faults in the equipment or the measures taken.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'm lucky too that my father preached safety as much as he did. I don't have any "good" stories to share because of it. I have a friend that takes his safety off as soon as he sits down for a deer hunt. I don't gun hunt with him.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM

I don't think that unloading your firearm in a reasonable manner can anymore dangerous than any other time a firearm is loaded
You're absolutely correct and I won't argue the points you made to support this. It probably would have been more appropriate had I said that it is a proceedure whereby one should excercise above average caution because....shazzit happens.

While loading/unloaded all of us can probably admit to twisting and turning the muzzle around when we attempt to gain access to the chamber, catch the ejecting shell, whatever. I think it is this action that prompted the idea that it is a dangerous thing to do....not necessarily a "mechanically" dangerous thing.

I was taught this obstacle-crossing method by an old-timer who has been teaching hunter safety for a long time. He relayed stories to us of people who made mistakes while unloading/loading for the very purpose of crossing obstacles in the woods. His method just makes a heck of a lot more sense to me all the while leaving you relatively prepared should an opportunity present itself.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM

I'm on the fence about whether you should unload your gun when crossing or lay it down to cross the fence (sorry I couldn't resist ).

But I would like to make a point that if you have a dog with you, you should never ever lay your loaded gun down to do something else. I am amazed at the number of accidents I read about where a hunter was shot when his dog stepped on the gun and the gun went off.

I didn't pick up a gun until well into my thirties. This stuff is not instinctive to me and I have to work hard to keep my mind where it should be. Early in my hunting years, I was deer hunting on a relative's farm. A coyote ran by and I raised my gun and flipped off my safety. I lost view of the coyote in some brush and just kind of sat there with my gun up, safety off waiting to see if the coyote would reappear. I heard a noise and out stepped a person about 150 yards up the ridge from me kind of near where I last saw the coyote. I wasn't aiming at the noise and I never had my finger on the trigger, but the gun was pointed in that general direction with the safety off. I about had a heart attack when I thought about what could have happened. Lesson learned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And I really did see a coyote. I talked to that other person up the ridge and he had seen it too.)
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MJL927

I don't think that unloading your firearm in a reasonable manner can anymore dangerous than any other time a firearm is loaded
You're absolutely correct and I won't argue the points you made to support this. It probably would have been more appropriate had I said that it is a proceedure whereby one should excercise above average caution because....shazzit happens.

While loading/unloaded all of us can probably admit to twisting and turning the muzzle around when we attempt to gain access to the chamber, catch the ejecting shell, whatever. I think it is this action that prompted the idea that it is a dangerous thing to do....not necessarily a "mechanically" dangerous thing.

I was taught this obstacle-crossing method by an old-timer who has been teaching hunter safety for a long time. He relayed stories to us of people who made mistakes while unloading/loading for the very purpose of crossing obstacles in the woods. His method just makes a heck of a lot more sense to me all the while leaving you relatively prepared should an opportunity present itself.

I agree with you there. You must always be mindful of where your muzzle is pointed. Manipulating the firearm to unload it is something that is very commonly done... and often more attention is paid to unloading, than to muzzle discipline. All comes back to (in my opinion) Golden Firearms Rule #1..... always point your muzzle in a safe direction. Follow that rule, and anything can happen.... let the gun go off, let the sear slip, whatever.... it might scare you to death.... but that bullet won't kill anyone if you have followed Rule #1!
Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No stories for this thread, take it easy on TF atleast he admits his wrong doings and has learned from them! Im sure some of us are too bull headed to admit our mistakes.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

take it easy on TF atleast he admits his wrong doings and has learned from them! Im sure some of us are too bull headed to admit our mistakes.
Thanks NY/Al when I started this Post I was thinking of the Guy who shot the Turkey Hunter in the Tree. I have Hunted Alot for a Long time. I fugure most of these Posters are Less than 16 the rest 16-45 with very few being 60 as I am. I am Praying they will learn from my mistakes. As in everything they have it all figured outI spent an Hour looking for a story from our Mo.
Conservatinest I read years ago. I could'nt find it so I will do my best to Paraphrase it.

Story was a true story, Deer Season and two friends go Hunting. One of the Hunters was in his Tree Stand. He see's this Buck, looks at his Horns and finds his Heart and Pulls the Trigger. Its his Best Friend. Now you might be think this was a Novice Hunter, but he was not, had been hunting 18 years, Was a Big Buck Hunter. His Friend is Dead. One Mistake can kill anyone and it can happen to anyone! When you think you got all the Base's Covered, that is when it's going to jump up and Bit you! As my Dad always said you can't be to careful!

I have been shot with a Shot Gun. I was in High School walking my NOW Wife and her Sister home from School. When a friend and his buddies shot us when a Single Quail got up. My SIL still has the Scare between her eyes where they removed a #8 Shot. I had on a School Jacket and I remember the Shot hitting the Sleeve

The guys telling about Shooting in someone ear. I had that Happen Also, thats something you don't soon get over[:@]

I for sure am not bragging about all these accidents. They just happened could they have been avoided? Why Sure!

When I was in Grade School we had a boy Killed. Roy Lee West his brother 5 or 6 I don't remember now shot and killed him.

Also when I was in Middle School. We had this boy Shot in the Chest with a 30-30 now you talk about Lucky. Gene is still living and is 64 now retired SWB and a AXu. Policeman. Oh, one more Eddie was Shot in the Head while putting his Gun in a Boat. I see his Twin Boys all the time. You might think I am Fullmof Bolloney, but I have NOT told one Lie!

Last one my Cousin Shot a hole in his Radiator, went thruthe Floor of his truck, with a 30-06! Don't think it can't happen to you!

tf
Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya man, though i have never shot anyone or anything i have been almost shot quite a few times. This is why i hate shotgun hunting deerwith my 'buddies.' They all just want to shoot shoot shoot with no regards to saftey or even what they are shooting at. I know that next year i will not be taking part in any deer drives with those losers, its just not worth it.

Most important thing is not realize that these incidents are few and far between. We all know that if everyone is responsible and respects the outdoors that these incidents can be prevented, now if we could teach everyone that....