Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is the worst mistake you have made hunting? >

What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

this isnt even a thread that we all are laughing at, this whole forum is about LEARNING from others experiances, so from this i have gotton a few things
1)when i sling a gun across my back make sure the muzzel is pointed in a safe direction
2) always unload the gun before crossing a fence
3) a reminder that you always need to make sure if a gun is loaded or not when someone hands one to you, and even if it isnt treat it a it is
4)be aware of where other hunters are before you shoot
5) dont get cought up in the heat of the moment and not take the saftey off well swinging on birds

now i have been raised with guns ALL my life and i dont really care who your dad is there is always something that goes wrong eventually espeacially if your new to hunting or are in a different area. so if all you whoo say things like: "I can't post anything here except that I'm glad my father raised me to be somewhat patient and careful with a firearm, and that I grew up not to be as much of a complete jackass as the guy who started this thread." you are LIEING you are being self-righteous and ignoring the big picture, everybody has made a mistake before,do seasoned hunters make mistakes? YES. do youth or new hunters make mistakes? YES now whats did your mommys used to say? i thinkthere was a sayingg that went something like this "learn from others mistakes" but i also want you to learn from your own to and the best way to learn is reflect and what better way to reflect then to imform others of some of the mistakes that are possible to make?

my story: i was duck hunting with my dad and a friend when a flock of wood ducks come in i am smart enough to wait untill they are past my dad before i shoot(or else id barrel whip him with the swing) but as soon as i was on a bird my gun was less then 6inches away from my dad when i pulled the trigger and dropped my first wood duck, my dad was mad for an hour before his ears quit ringing, and he will be the first to admit it was a SAFE shot but he wished i would have waited another couple seconds and since then i have always been cautious of how far away my gun is when i pull the trigger
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

Boys...Boys...You must be City Dude's....I have hunted ALL my life..A LOT... we would hunt almost every weekend. When I bird hunted I would get home from work and Take Pat out for One Point and Rise.

I had to look back and see what you all were talking about[:@]

Charlie P Said this...Don't know why you think all your screw ups are funny.
ORIGINAL: rybohunter

This really isn't a subject to make light of. That many mishaps with a gun going off is completely inexcusable. [:@]
KDSBERMAN Said:...Yeah thats what i was saying. I can understand one of those mistakes happening once, but several occasions is definetly nothing to brag about, and especially nothing to laugh about.

he couldn't shoot...LoL Because his gun was on Safe. He blamed me...LoL
Did you read the Story?

Calling Names is good way to get kicked off this Fourm!
KingvJack:Said...I grew up not to be as much of a complete jackass as the guy who started this thread. That would be me!

If you want to say you are sorry, I am listening

TF

Your not still waiting on that apology are ya? Cause your mistakes are exactly what caused that guy in Florida to get killed, and countless other mommies and daddies and kiddos who were enjoying our sport....
Its a priveledge that I hope I never share with ya.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Boys...Boys...You must be City Dude's....I have hunted ALL my life..A LOT... we would hunt almost every weekend. When I bird hunted I would get home from work and Take Pat out for One Point and Rise.

This really isn't a subject to make light of. That many mishaps with a gun going off is completely inexcusable. [:@]
KDSBERMAN Said:...Yeah thats what i was saying. I can understand one of those mistakes happening once, but several occasions is definetly nothing to brag about, and especially nothing to laugh about.

Did you read the Story?

KingvJack:Said...I grew up not to be as much of a complete jackass as the guy who started this thread. That would be me!

TF

Your not still waiting on that apology are ya? Cause your mistakes are exactly what caused that guy in Florida to get killed, and countless other mommies and daddies and kiddos who were enjoying our sport....

X2
Old 03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
JW
Super Moderator

THUS THIS MOTTO TO WHICH I LIVE BY!

SAFE HUNTING IS NO ACCIDENT!

- ONLY THING I WILL SAY HERE

JW
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Did you read the Story?

TF

no theres a difference between MISTAKE and being an IDIOT
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: huntnteen

my story: i was duck hunting with my dad and a friend when a flock of wood ducks come in i am smart enough to wait untill they are past my dad before i shoot(or else id barrel whip him with the swing) but as soon as i was on a bird my gun was less then 6inches away from my dad when i pulled the trigger and dropped my first wood duck, my dad was mad for an hour before his ears quit ringing, and he will be the first to admit it was a SAFE shot but he wished i would have waited another couple seconds and since then i have always been cautious of how far away my gun is when i pull the trigger
I did that one time but I was dove hunting...Still haunts me to this day to think about what could have happend. It gives methe chills just thinking about it. But I dont belive mine was a safe shot.
Thats my dumbest moment and only close call.

Im glad Iwas taught to hadle a gun safely at an early age like5 or 6if not I would prob. have a list like TF's and thats nothing to be proud of.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was lucky enough to have a father who taught me the utmost respect for firearms. Thats not to say that anyone ought to have more, merely that I was allowed to carry a gun at a very young age (unloaded with bullets in my pocket at first), because my father trusted me.

The biggest mistake I ever made was snicking the safety off the gun while walking into a grouse on point behind our setter. My dad and my grandfather were both there, and they both heard it. I don't know which one of them whipped my ass first, but it was the last time I ever did that. I have tripped over my own two feet and over hidden snags walking in behind points, but I've never had the safety off and shot a man or a dog. It was a mistake I'll never make again. I was 7 when that happened.

The other mistake that stands out in my mind was bow hunting deer from a treestand that had arms that stuck out. I wasn't paying attention to my bow limbs relative to my treestand arms. Went to smoke a doe... SMACK! Smoked my bottom limb instead.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

no theres a difference between MISTAKE and being an IDIOT

X2

TF

Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

1.) I remember my first was with a Pellet Gun shot out a Window.

2.) Was with a freind and we were at his lake trying to kill a Duck he let me hold a 22 and I touched the trigger and it went off.

3.) Rabbit hunting and a friend was in line with a Rabbit and I shot man he was mad[&o]

4.) I was hunting at Peck Ranch and it was cold and I touched the Trigger and BOOM my 25-06 went off. I was embarresed to come in that night because I knew they would be asking who shot. And they did!

5.) I was with some friends Hunting and we crossing a fence and this guys Rifle went off...It could have been Bad!

6.) I took a friend Bird hunting once and this guys gun was off safty. I made him put it on Safe and we got up a covey of Birds and he couldn't shoot...LoL Because his gun was on Safe. He blamed me...LoL

I have been very LUCKY! Learn from my mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!

TF
Wow...note too self, don't go hunting with TF
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

1.) I remember my first was with a Pellet Gun shot out a Window.

2.) Was with a freind and we were at his lake trying to kill a Duck he let me hold a 22 and I touched the trigger and it went off.

3.) Rabbit hunting and a friend was in line with a Rabbit and I shot man he was mad[&o]

4.) I was hunting at Peck Ranch and it was cold and I touched the Trigger and BOOM my 25-06 went off. I was embarresed to come in that night because I knew they would be asking who shot. And they did!

5.) I was with some friends Hunting and we crossing a fence and this guys Rifle went off...It could have been Bad!

6.) I took a friend Bird hunting once and this guys gun was off safty. I made him put it on Safe and we got up a covey of Birds and he couldn't shoot...LoL Because his gun was on Safe. He blamed me...LoL

I have been very LUCKY! Learn from my mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!

TF
Wow...note too self, don't go hunting with TF

Ya I just had that note tatooed to my arm last night. haha.

Quick Reply: What is the worst mistake you have made hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.