Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth call placement.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mouth call placement.

I'm a total noob to turkey hunting (I went out here and there for a few years, but it wasn't until last spring that my interest really perked for it). I'm starting to learn to use a mouth call (I had tried a few times in years past with no success). I actually found what I "thought" I was doing wrong all along in times before. I found that placing the call back further helped me produce the sounds much better. Basically the front of the reeds are behind where the "dip" in the pallet begins from the front of the mouth. Now, I was just told today, that mouth calls shouldn't be used that far back, and instead the front of the reeds should be close to the back of the front teeth. Now, I'm confused. Am I placing the call too far back and risking choking AND not producing as good of sound as I could up front? I tried placing the call up front in my mouth, and NOTHING comes out...no sound...natta. Any input/opinions? Basically I can get some basic yelps out at this point (just put the call in and started practicing for the first time last night, so I feel like I made some progress in a day). Howeve, being that I don't know any better, I'm worried that my call placement is not correct.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mouth call placement.

All you need is to have the tape form a seal in the back of your mouth. The further back the better the sound will be, IMHO. The air should come from your diaphragm and huff it over the reeds.
Sounds like you can make sound so just find a spot where it feels comfortable and does not move when you call. Also try to drop your jaw when you yelp, or any other sound as well.. This will allow you to get the two tone yelp with the back end of the yelp being raspy. Make sure to close your lips after every sound, this will allow each note to be seperated. Keep practicing with different tongue pressures and tongue placement and see what you can do. If you want more "lessons" pm me and we can talk...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tkycaller

All you need is to have the tape form a seal in the back of your mouth. The further back the better the sound will be, IMHO. The air should come from your diaphragm and huff it over the reeds.
Sounds like you can make sound so just find a spot where it feels comfortable and does not move when you call. Also try to drop your jaw when you yelp, or any other sound as well.. This will allow you to get the two tone yelp with the back end of the yelp being raspy. Make sure to close your lips after every sound, this will allow each note to be seperated. Keep practicing with different tongue pressures and tongue placement and see what you can do. If you want more "lessons" pm me and we can talk...
Thanks bud, I really hope to meet you sometime, as I want to pick your brain on calling. Rob actually hooked me up with an X-rated when I was over there the other weekend. That's what I'm learning on...I'll send ya a pm shortly.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

ORIGINAL: tkycaller

Thanks bud, I really hope to meet you sometime, as I want to pick your brain on calling. Rob actually hooked me up with an X-rated when I was over there the other weekend. That's what I'm learning on...I'll send ya a pm shortly.
Listen to this man! I have heard him call and what he can do with a mouth call is amazing.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I got to hear Denny some at the Harrisburg show.He is one of the best Iveheard in person.I will say thatkid Dakota Clouser was prettydarm impressive. That kid is amazing and hes only 16 or 17.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Primos CD is very helpful.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM

You'll spit and slobber fora while until you get used to it... I actually say, "welp" or "yelp", without using my voice, just the air. Helps to get the jaw drop that really enhances the sound. Clucks " tutt". Cuts "tut tut tutt ttutt tuuutt tutt tutt" Cackles are similar, just not as long, and a little different emotion. For purrs, try to roll your throat, like gargleing water, and do that over the call, will take a lot of practice to get it under control.

Good Luck.