Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My first mouth call...

Old 08-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first mouth call...

Hey folks! This is my first post in the turkey forum, usually in the bowhunting forum. I just bought a set of 3 Primos mouth calls and have been using them for a couple days. How long does it take to get to sounding like a turkey with these things? I think I'd get more geese than turkeys the way I sound right now! Any tips for me? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Default RE: My first mouth call...

I started last year and im still not perfect. Ive called them in but I could be a lot better. Practice all the time. Right before turkey season I practice every second im in the truck. Do it when you drive around.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

it's taken me awhile.....i tried it, gave up on it, now i'm trying it again and i will get , but i dont have it yet, lol.......but i sound better each time, unless iover do it...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I try to over-do it a little bit too. The hardest part ofr me is to not put any of my own voice into it, just air. IT is definitely a good time though trying to make those sounds.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:16 PM

I started 5 years ago and still learning Ijust shot my first birdthis year that I called in with my mouth call. I gotten several birds with friction,boxcalls. Dont get mad just keep working at it.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm calling as I type this and I think I'm getting better! It sure is fun!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 AM

It took me about 2 years to get good enough and i did it all the time to the point my wife would hide them from me. One thing i learned is to keep them clean the latex will stick together and sound bad so rinse them when your done under the sink or bottled water and keep praticing it will come

good luck
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The key to mouth calling is huffing the air over the reeds instead of blowing it. Just like you are cleaning a pair of glasses. You then must learn to constrict the airflow over the call and use tongue pressure and a whole lot of other things to be able to produce the calls. You can learn how to do all this with time. It would take a lot of explaining here to perfect your calling.
It took me years to be able to compete with the best callers in the world and now I teach others how to do it.
Hopefully we (River Valley Game Calls)will have a dvd out shortly that will demonstrate what i am talking about. Until then keep practicing....
Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

As much as I like the primos calls they are hard to get use too. They are a very good call once you get use to them. I myself would start with another type of mouth call. I myself have only mastered the limb hanger by Primos. I prefer the Quaker Boy mouth calls over the rest. I believe their a thicker reed and much easier to control. Just my thing though. But Ive been using them for a long time. Just remember to practice.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've ben practicing alot the last couple days (and my tongue hurts from doing it so much!) but I am getting better! I think before I was blowing too hard so my calls were super loud and raspy. I decreased the flow and increased the tongue pressure and now I sound just like a 300 pound turkey should!

Quick Reply: My first mouth call...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.