Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

got one for the team

Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default got one for the team

I'll start off by saying Thank You God !!!!
This weekend started off allllll wrong, lol...Sat., i went up to my area, didn't hear a thing finally about 2 hours later i heard a hen yelp, so i responded then i heard a gobble, i responded, then he did and so on....he was coming in....i sit down right there, i can feel the chiggers eating me alive, but it's worth it, right?!?, nooooooooooo, lol....all of a sudden BOOOOM ... someone, either poaching or on the private land right there shot...apparently he was the there,yelped, heard me yelping so he just waited...i really dont think it was from the private land because i didnt see or hear a thing after the shot (i should have) , so i picked up and left...then my sister called, said she had gotten one...woohoo.I found a small basket 6 point skull on the way out.....
Sun.: i got there like 2 hours early , i heard nothing...so i decided to walk and call.....found an old shed , should of had 4 points on it, has good mass...you'd think it was shed hunting season, lol...it's in my one deer hunting area so i'm hoping his genes are floating around the woods there.
It's strange how there was so much activity there just 2 days prior and actually for 3 weeks prior to that, then as soon as season opens, nothing.......
Mon.: I heard one gobble, but he was on the south side so i hurry over there, there's not not as much as a cluck to be heard...well i know he's heading north, it's killing me to be there on the south side knowing he'll be gone, i sat about 30 minutes, then i headed to the north side.....i figured he was heading to my honeyhole(killed 4 birds there so far), so i opted to go in silent, got there, set up, put my decoy out about 25 yds. out and i sat down, cut 3 palmettos , stuck them in the gorund and i was about to call and my sister called, she had gotten another bird, her best yet...she is done...hung up with her and i heard some scratching, saw 3 hens feed by, then they started to leave so i talked to them, i hit the call lightly, they came back... decided one small yelp after some clucking, just 3 lil strokes and balalalalalaaaaaaaa....OMG...it's a gobbler so i did it one more time and he responded again,i was ready... by this time the hens were right next to me, then i heard spitting and drumming, the gobbler suddenly putts and flys back about 10 feet closer to me, about 10 yds...he saw my decoy and freaked !!! there he was looking around behind two trees, then his eyes locked on me, it was now or never , so i chose the now ....not the shot i would of preferred, but it was a GREAT one ...like threading a needle ...he dropped...
14.6lbs, lol....most of my birds are thin, lol.....
9.25 in beard
Crystal call by Kaiser Kalls....purpleheart striker....
he only had one spur and it was an 1 inch....it's a 2 year old bird.
On my drive out, i got to singing one of my turkey songs.....well the one verse goes "lalala....lol....what do i see , an old longbeard staring back at me, longing a spur, but he's still a trophy to me, Lord, i pray he's in my sights".....
well i finally got him ....i've sang that song for years and never imagined i'd ever get one with a single spur, and he really is a trophy to me...my hunt was the words in my song
I am soooooooooo Happy...
me

my bird

and me and flhuntress with our birds
Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Default RE: got one for the team

congrats
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome huntnma congrats
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Gal!........Great story!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That smile tells it all. Congrats!!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird/story... Congrats
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

awesome story and awesome hunt atta girl lol
Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome!! Great story and photos. i'll bet your still smiling.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

Nice work! Congrats! Where to next? Any more hunting any place else?

Love the sheds right in there with the bird.

Quick Reply: got one for the team

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.