Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter

Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default New Turkey Hunter

I am looking to go on my first turkey hunt in the spring. do you guys recommend hunting with a blind or is it better to just sit in front of a big tree?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Turkey Hunter

If you have plenty of natural cover such as trees, bushes, or tall grass, then I would go that route. Sitting next to a big tree will do just fine. Just don't move when he's coming your way. If you are impatient or squirm a lot, then maybe a blind would be better off. Personally I have never turkey hunted in a blind and I have killed my fair share of gobblers. Make sure you are comfortable. Being uncomfortable may blow your chance at a longbeard. They very often come in silent and if your moving around from discomfort you may never know he was there.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Spike

thanks for the info Strut.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

superstrutter has a good point on being comfortable. Just like when you deer hunt, being comfortable will ensure you are focusing on hunting and not focused on how you can re-position yourself to get comfortable. You can buy a padded seat that straps around your waist for about $10 or so and when you get up to move, the seat is connected to you so it moves with you. I don't hunt out of blinds for turkey. I really enjoy being out in the open and sitting up against a tree. Just remember if you can see the turkey, then he can definitely see you as well...so make sure you aren't moving (that's where the mouth call comes in handy as I was mentioning that in another thread). If you move and the turkey busts you, you will know and will kick yourself...trust me...I have done it many times. I have had deer within 20 yards of me before while up in a tree-stand, and it doesn't remotely compare to the excitement that a longbeard will produce while I am on the ground right next to him. At times, I feel like my heart is literally going to jump out of my chest. I would suggest leaving the blind at home and see if turkey hunting will be your new favorite...
Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

really for a new guy i would reccomend a blind if your not going with an experience "guide"
you still wont be able to get away with much movement or noise out of a blind
good luck!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ive have killed turkeys from a blind to setting on the ground with my back against a 2 in tree. The key is movement.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I do both. I hunt more than one area during our season but I only have one blind. So I set it up at the site I figure it will work the best for me. The others and a cushion and a tree. I enjoy both and they both have their pros and cons but all things considered, I just prefer sitting "outside" against a tree.

[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have never killed a turkey from a blind....although this year i will be using my new Venom blind for some archery birds

sitting on the ground infront of a tree, bush or even in the open as long as you have cover around you or in front of you that should work just fine assuming you are in full camo!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Spike

In the spring I just use a tree to break my outline (check out Diesel77's pictures on the second page of the "What to wear" thread to see what I mean). When you pick a tree to lean against make sure it's as wide or wider than your shoulders if possible.

In the fall I use a portable blind, but that's because I fall hunt with a dog. I have a sack I put her in (with her head sticking out)and I sit with my legs pinning her down. The blind hides her fidgeting.

I’ve killed turkeys both ways, but I don’t put up with the bother of a blind unless I have to.