Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 1st attempt at fall turkeys >

1st attempt at fall turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

1st attempt at fall turkeys

Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default 1st attempt at fall turkeys

This will be my first attempt at hunting turkeys this fall. I was just wondering if the same tactics i use in the spring should be used in the fall or is it a whole new game? Any tips and help would be great!!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st attempt at fall turkeys

It's different because it's not mating season anymore, so calls and decoys don't have the same kind of effect.

Have you signed upfor the Fall Turkey Contest?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun308

It's different because it's not mating season anymore, so calls and decoys don't have the same kind of effect.

Have you signed upfor the Fall Turkey Contest?
maybe not the same effect, but if used correctly, they will have a positive effect in most cases....if your just looking for any old turkey, stick with yelps, cuts, your regular calls, just dont over use them like in the spring. call sparingly.

food sources are a good bet.

if your looking for gobblers, they group up in bachelor groups during late fall and winter, so where you find on gobbler, be prepared to see up to ten or more gobblers, just the way they roll.[8D] If trying to call in a gobbler during the fall, learn the difference in a gobbler yelp and a hen yelp, and only use gobbler yelps. it brings em in a LOT better. gobbler yelps, are deeper than hen yelps, most instructional cds have an example on there.

if you dont have the time to pattern a bachelor group and just set up where they are, youre best bet is to setup over a good food source, and try callin them in with gobbler yelps. also know that often times turkey winter in completely different areas than where you found them in the spring.

if hens are legal, and you are fine with taking one, a VERY good way to bring one in is by whistling a kee kee. you can do this if you can whistle, just go to nwtf and listen to their example. if hens hear a kee kee, to them it means a jenny is lost, so they usually come towards the kee kee. at the very least they will become very vocal, kind of saying, were over here to the jenny.

good luck, fall hunting isnt as exciting as spring, but it offers a different challenge that can be just as fun.

last tip for the day, is that busting up flocks and calling them back in works wonders for the fall, but alot of people dont believe in this method.google this topic, and if you can bust them up in all directions, almost gauranteed if you know how to call, you CAN call them back in, they are desperate to regroup at that point.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

TEmbry15 thanks for all the great info!!! It was all greatly appreciated. I read about the "flock busting". It sounds kinda interesting. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Great info, I had thoughtabout trying fall turkey this year. Thanks for all the info
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 AM

sd gobbler, just wondering where you going to hunt at, I just moved to brookings to attend SDSU and was thinking about heading up to roberts county to do some turkey hunting up there
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm bowhunting Hens in the morning.... They are just so damn thick around here.....
I'll post pics if successful.... Hopefully a deer walks by too..... may be too warm though.