Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to Turkey Hunting

Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 AM

Default New to Turkey Hunting

Well, as you can probably see, I'm new to the forum as well as turkey hunting. Was hoping to pick up a few tips for a beginner from some of you old timers.

Any information would be helpful or a point in the right direction (book, articles, website, etc.). Anything to turkey guns, calls, strategy, etc.

Also, not sure if this might be of help, but currently residing in Northern CA.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New to Turkey Hunting

I would start off with books, magazines, or DVDs. You can also search this site for some great information on turkey hunting. Also check out the NWTF site. If you have a question just ask here, we are all willing to help. Welcome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting and welcome to the forum...
Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Turkeyjoe, glad to have you on the forum and as one of our hunting compadres. There are a ton of turkey videos/dvds out there. Any of which would be a help to a beginner. Are you going to be doing your own calling? Hunting videos are great to watch and you can get a lot of tips from them, but they don't always give you a realistic outlook on the real hunt. because many videos are taken over a period of time to get an actual kill on video, then cut and patched to look as if it was just one hunt. Not that you can't learn from them though. It is good to watch them to hear how other hunters do their calling, other than listening to instructional videos/dvds about how to call with various types of calls. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Therre are a ton of answers right here on these forums.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey welcome! Frist thing I need to warn you! I have found no other sport of chasing Mr. Tom - more gratifying, more challenging, ah shucks once you start it can end up like a disease!

As others said take your time and go back on this forum and read. We ahve many many really good turkey hunters here.

Then as questions arise - ask away - many will give you an answer.

The number one thing I can think of to make you successful is just plain woodsmanship. Know your terrain once you have located birds and then pattern them. Know what time of day they feed, they breed, or they just plain loaf. Get to know roost areas and flyd own and fly up areas. Then plan your hunt around all that information.

Calling - there are many great CDs out there. One is the NWTF CD of actual turkey voices - I listen to mine all the time. For instructional voices of the wild tukey and then why they make that sound - visit Lovett Williams as he has produced a CD that is very helpful.

Next patttern your gun. Know your lethal range. There are many old posts here explaining how to do that - with a scope or plain open tru-glo sights. Go look for them and read.

I know I hae missed something - but I can tell you after 20 yrs of chasin' those birds in seveal states - I am amazed each time I go out as I learn something new! Try it once and you will be infected like the rest of us!

JW
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the great answers so far. I've already been reading everything I could possibly get my hands on! Alright, well, I hope I don't sound too dumb, but what's the first step I can take? I know JW said I should know my terrain-- As a consensus, what do you think is the first step for a beginner?

Also, anyone from the Northern California area? I'm very new to this region (originally from FL) and know hardly anything about it. I've been reading all I can, but a point in the right direction would be extremely helpful. If so, any pointers on where to start?

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Joe - give the local Conseravtion office a call and look for public areas, ask for population studies anything they can givve you for the area you have pinpointed. From that look for bordering private areas and go ask for permission to hunt. Is what I do.

At this time of the year the birds should be flocked. Try to scout feeding areas.

JW