Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

fall turkeys

Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Default fall turkeys

i have been hunting turkeys for a good while and wondering if there is and calls or ways to attracted turkeys in the fall?thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM

Default RE: fall turkeys

As far as calling in a fall gobbler, I haven't had any luck. I use slate and diaphragm calls in the fall, same as the spring. I have had luck calling in hens and jakes. They always seem curious as to who the new bird is out there talking in their woods. Best method I have found to fall hunt is to locate the flock. Learn where they roost. What fields do they prefer. Most the time they will stick to their same habits everyday. i.e.--They cross the south 80 every morning at 8:25a.m. Be on the tree line of the south 80 the next morning before 8:25a.m. Then when the flock comes through, take off running at them and bust up the flock. Sit down where you busted them up and give some soft calls. Soon you will have birds coming in from every direction thatthey flew off when you busted them up. Listen to the calls that they are making and immitate. Pick the bird you want and pop it.

For fall gobblers I find where they are and either try to sneak up on him, or learn his habits.Once habits are learned, just sit and wait for him to walk by and ambush him. The thing about turkey hunting is that every hunt is different. Turkeysare veryvocal. Every hen is different. Some sound ticked off. Some sound peaceful. Some gobblers are very aggressive, and some don't want anythingtodo with your calls at all. Thats whythe hunt is so exciting. You just never know what the heck is going to happen.

Hope these tactics work for you. Good luck.