Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pattering Your Thumper

Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pattering Your Thumper

When you'repattering your turkey gun, where do you placethe bead or crosshairs? Head, mid neck or at the base of the neck where the feathers start? I've always placed my sight right on the head! Seems to me that's less confussion when I'm in the field on hunt and I'm taking aim at a turkeys head.

Just about all the targets I've been looking at over the past few days have the shot placement either on the mid neck area or the base of the neck.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pattering Your Thumper

i shoot mid neck where the featherline stops..that makes the most sense to me...if your pattern shoots true and center then your hitting the whole neck and head with the pattern. base of the neck your only doing good with the high pellets...head and your only doing good with the low pellets..mid neck and your putting alot more pellets where it counts because the high, low and center pellets are all in the head and neck area..works for me
Old 07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

I myself aim between the base of the neck and the middle of the neck. I use to just aim for the head but learned the hard way after missing a couple close shots. The gun was patterned so tight that the shot went over their head because they were close. Thats why I aim between the base and mid neck. I havent had one walk away since then...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to aim about in the middle of the were the head is and were the feathers start on the neck
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The waddles or where the feathers start!!!!!Tom if all your aiming at is the head half your pattern could be sailing over that birds head,especially further downrange. Thats where all turkey targets generally center a pattern too!!
http://turkey-shoppe.nwtf.org/product251.html
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mid neck for me. Don't like to aim too low, because of the pellets in the breast meat!![:-]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM

i put the bead on the base of the neck where the feathers start. found that to be the best pattern on my targets. still get plenty of pellets in the head area