Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pattering spring Deer

Old 07-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pattering spring Deer

When I see deer now they are eating on the beans planted around. I know by fall they will move to the cornfields and that will be they the prime food spots. About the time bowseason kicks in, they will be shelling corn. How am I supposed to pattern the deer out to the cornfields before the season if they are out in the beanfields. Ill scout alot around the corn, but there won't be much time in transition from the beans to the corn. Can anybody ansewr this ?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pattering spring Deer

the best time to scout is the day after the season ends. or the day after your last hunt if you know when that will be. it is the only way to be positive where and what trails the deer will be using. remember the 3 things to consider when choosing stand placement: food, drink, and bed. will the deer be using this trail to get to and from the bedding area? a creek between a food plot and a bedding area would be a great trail to put a stand on. i also scout while im in the stand during season. if you see more deer on a trail 40 yards away, thats where you need to be. it would be the first thing to do in the spring. you may want to get a climber so that during the season if you think you need to move, you can try a couple of times with your climber
Old 07-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scouting now is somewhat useless in my opionion. The deer are on there summer patterns, when bow season starts there is a good chance those deer or bucks particularly will not be there. There home range is different, they could travel 3-5miles back to where there mother had taught them, or they know where does hang out and that is the place they are use to for breeding. Like shootemup said the best time is after the season is over, not the summer.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:06 AM

your answer is you cant, deer here in the south are eating tender green new shoots and grasses but when the acorns start falling it all changes, remember where you saw them last fall make a mental note and go back to that area of the corn field
Old 07-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Where I hunt the farmer I rent to switches from corn to beans every year and it is beans this year, I may have to find a diffrent place to hunt
Old 07-07-2004, 11:00 AM

WHY?