Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a tube call?

Old 01-16-2002, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is a tube call?

well?? what is a tube call? i have read a lot about them here lately, but it just talks about different people using them, the articles say nothing about what they are, they just say they can make just about every call?? where can i find one? is it worth it?
Old 01-16-2002, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is a tube call?

A tube call is a like a diaphram call that works outside your mouth. The old snuff can, 35mm film canister, etc. You can see some at this site:

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/Med...logFrames.html

Go to pages 22 and 25.

If you're a duck hunter and can do the feed call it's pretty easy to gobble on a tube call. I can't do it on any other type call.

Romans 8:28
Old 01-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 04:11 PM

Tube calls are great! I have been using them for years. Knight & Hale are the first hunters that I know of who took the idea of the old snuff can turkey call and marketed it to the masses. The concept has been around for a long long long time. The basis of a tube call is this; a tube (old pill bottle, snuff can, fil canister, etc.) with a fully open bottom & a half open top. You stretch a piece of latex rubber across the top & secure it. You want to leave a little space open between the half open part & the latex. Plenty of people sell them so check out the web sites for Quaker Boy, Knight & Hale, Primos, etc. once you get good with a tube call you can use it for anything from goose, turkeys to elk hunting!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:20 PM

The tube call is one of my absolute favorites. It uses latex stretched over a small opening to make sound. You just blow air across the latex. Like the wingbone, it's also one of the most over-looked calls by hunters. It takes practice to master, but it's worth it. You can make any sound a turkey can, gobbles better than any "gobble shaker". I have an old Ben Lee Widow Maker tube call and a hand turned tube call made for me by a callmaker in Maryland.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry one around my neck in the Turkey Woods....BT
Old 01-17-2002, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

I think that because it is so often overlooked, it could be the most effective call in your vest if you can master the basics. Think about it. How many turkeys have you had that were on fire for a particular call, be it slate, box, or diaphragm, only to turn it completely off after a week or so of hunting pressure. This is the perfect situation for a tube call. I made a good one last year, but my kids thought it was to cool to continue it's existance as a turkey call. It became a musical instrument until it's demise. I'd better get busy on another one.
Just out of curiosity, what source of latex do you guys think makes the best reed? Which tubes give the best sound quality?
Old 01-17-2002, 06:20 AM

I have used the Quaker Boy snuff can for years and this year they have improved it to be more like a tube call. I don't know if it is on the website yet, but I recommend it to anyone. www.quakerboygamecalls.com

Ryan Tucker

Old 01-17-2002, 11:18 AM

slee, as bad as this sounds unlubricated condoms work great. Also don't forget that Quaker Boy, Knight & Hale, and plenty of others sell latex for reeds. check out midwest turkey calls.

Also as a note Primos has a novel idea with the tube call they make. it has a snap on silicon reed instead of using latex & a rubber band. Just pop a new one on & away you go.