Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tube call

Old 04-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default tube call

I have been looking at those calls I think Lohman makes that you blow into to make calls. I believe it is a tube with latex or somthing over the end. I was wondering if any one has one or has used one and if you think it is worth getting one, and does it sound good
Old 04-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tube call

I had a student who had one last year. i couldn' t make it work, but Brad Harris can make it sound good. You can make a tube call out of a 35mm film cnaister or a prescription pill bottle. cut a half moon out of the bottom and cover most of the opening with a piece of latex (from a glove or balloon, different thicknesses give different sounds). Hold the canister in your thumb and fore finger (like and o.k. sign)with the latex side up, place your lower lip on the latex and say tuck to start. Work on different sounds from there.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:18 PM

I love a tube call! Though I don' t like the looks of that Lohman whatchamacallit. Primos, Knight & Hale & H.S. Strut all make a good inexpensive tube call. Every call of the wild turkey can be made with a tube call including the gobble. I have a Primos and love it, even makes for a good rabbit in distress call. I have a lot of work to do on the gobble though
Old 04-07-2003, 08:38 AM

I have that call. Its a lohman mouth yelper. I have used it successfully on a couple of occasions to bring birds in that last 50 yards when I didnt want the movement required for using my slate call. I kindof use this as a last resort call if the birds dont respond to anything else. I also have the lohman pump yelper which I also use to get initial responses from gobblers. The pump yelper is great for pissing off the hens to. It seems to aggravate them more than any other call Ive used. I wouldnt use these calls by themselves, but they have definately benefited me by having them in my vest.[:-]
Old 04-07-2003, 02:27 PM

Lohman' s call wouldn' t really classify as a tube call. There is no reed control or anything, just blow into it.

I like regular tube calls. Quaker Boy' s Super Snuff Can is a good one. It' s one of the smaller ones on the market. I also have an old Ben Lee Widowmaker and a hand-turned wooden tube from Close Calls.

PBB