Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Indiana Public Land!!! HELP! >

Indiana Public Land!!! HELP!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Indiana Public Land!!! HELP!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Indiana Public Land!!! HELP!

Anyone hunt Indiana public land? This is my first year hunting and my private land has gone south quick! I am making a trip to public land tomorrow and saturday...any advice? thanks guys
Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Public Land!!! HELP!

hope ya got one.........as with any public alnd, just have patience.....hang out until its time to leave....most of the othe rhutners leave early....
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

well i went to southern indiana for the opening week. I was hunting on state ground. I seen around 50 hens and about 14 toms. i was bow hunting so i needed a close shot. out of the 14 toms all but three were on private ground. I seen them as i was leaving for home on the last day. I have never been so fortunate to be able to hunt turkeys on private land. So i have become good at the public ground. The thing to remember you need to hunt as far from the roads as possible. you need to get to the woods first and leave last. Even if i means sleeping in your ground blind. But it doesn't mean that you'll get a bird. i sleep in the woods and i still lost a bird this year because of another hunter came in on me while i was calling a bird.the bird spooked after that. So you can either get mad or smile. i choose to smile because that is the thing about public land.oh yeah you'll have mushroom hunters walking around so that is always something you need to keep on your mind as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

get in as far from the roads as possible. i hike in a good 20-25minute POWER walk...its a good distance probably close to 2 miles. i might only be 1/2 mile from the road...the rest of the hike is waaaaay down in. guess still get back there...but not nearly as bad as close to the road.

hunting highly pressured birds is tough at best...never know who was there and how bad they stirred things up...plus youll get alot of guys walking around all preseason and in season calling calling calling making the birds call shy..

the farther away you can get the better the hunting will be...

oh ya...try to hunt during the week...if at all possible. youll likely see less hunters and midweek the birds werent hunted so hard since the weekend and hunting is usually better...still might see a decint number of guys during the week...but weekends and opening days can be a circus...

good luck...