Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

"Field" setup

Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default "Field" setup

I've got a "field" that's really an agricultural field that was sprayed a couple of weeks ago in prep. for Spring planting. For the most part.....the vegetation is dead.....but they still use this field as a travel route. I've seen birds in it every time out (less 1).

I'm thinking of going with a 2 hen setup on Saturday morning......with one hen sitting on the ground (and don't ask me 'why'.....I'm asking YOU...lol) and the other standing. There IS vegetation in the field....it's just mostly dead.

I'm trying to switch up my tactics.....and I'm ready to try ANYTHING.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Field" setup

You never know if its gonna work or not till you try it. If you've been seeing birds in there I'd say go ahead and give it a go and see what happens. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldnt put the hen on the ground unless you are going to place a jake decoy over the hen, like their breeding. If its a travel route I would set up there. How close are you to the roost? Do they fly down there in the morning? With there being no food for them in the field, they may change up on you...
Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Well.....I see your point. The only "Food", per se, would be bugs (I guess). It's on the backside of a knoll that they feel "safe" in, though. I just KNOW they use this route to travel from woodlot to woodlot....and another field or two beyond.

I've got a jake deke.....but I always think I run the risk of scaring off male birds who might think they're gonna get their ass kicked. Going after my first bird via stick and string....I'm not too happy with that prospect.

hence.....my plan. i can use three hens if ya think that sounds even better!...lol
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I've had jake decoys work both ways. I've had them bring toms running in looking for a fight, and I've had it scare them off. The thing is, the ratio has been about 33% good, 33% bad, and 34% just ignore the decoy. Thats why I seldom use a jake decoy until I see a tom behave in a way that make me wish I had one out. If I see a really aggressive tom then I'll put one out. Other wise, it comes with me, but stays in my vest till it is needed. Hope this helps.