Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tactical help

Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Tactical help

O.k. guys I'm not a big poster, but I've got a situation coming this weekend that I need help with.I at least want to have a basic game plan to start with and then have options thought out if I need to alter it. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down what I should do.

Here's the situation:
One of my deer hunting farms is apprx. 140 acres. I have never had an opportunity to turkey hunt it until this weekend. I have camped, rode atv's, and deer hunted it a lot so I know the land very well. Except, I have never even attempted to scout it for turkey, and I won't be able to get there until the day of the hunt. I would say that 3/4 of it is good old growth woods with little underbrush. The rest of the property is semi-flat/rolling fields and are mostly basic hay fields with a little bit of them being clover/alfalfa.Water on the property can only be found at small natural bowls that almost always have water in them. The nearest stream is on the next property.

At first I figured that I would get therebefore sunrise and start at the main barn, which isbasically in the center of the property, and try and locate. Then I got to thinking aboutthe past and how I have had gobblers go silent about this time of the season. Which is where my dilema comes about.

So here are the options that I'm considering. (1) Sit down on a field edge and call. (2) Move into the woods. If I go into the woods there are afew locations that stand out. (a) a large opening with a truck trail leading to it that is our campground. Its flat area on top ofa ridge. (b) a shortaccess road on top of a ridge that leads to the power lines, which runs along the property's edge. (c) An area where three hillsides come to a central valley. The area there is very open but barren. The deer actually don't walk all of the down into it. (d) Any basic area inside of the woods. All of the woods are very open with food sources gallore for deer and turkey.

I'm leaning toward the power line road b/c it starts in the corner of the largest field that just happens to be a pennisula surrounded by woods. It also exits into the top of a powerline clearcut.At that exit point there is one of the few watering holes on the property (just a large natural bowl).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tactical help

Around here (iowa) the turkeys have been moving into some alfalfa fields I hunt. Either way if your going to be able to hunt more than one day I would go set up on a field edge and hope for the best. then if its possible to go out hunting in the evening if you dont get one you should at least be able to tell where they will be roosted

Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen for 'em on the roost if you can.The accessroad to the power lines area sounds like there's a few set up possibilities.

If your birds are going silent on you, then try the"silent call" or very very soft yelps, ki-ki yelps, and purrs at the most.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Look for water, birds head to water after flydown off the rooost, and because of this, often roost near sources of water ( within 50-100yards). Personally, I would get there early, and see if i can shock gobble one of them bad boys early in the am with an owl hoot, then proceed from there. Set up in between the water holes and fields, and be prepared to move!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 AM

Thanks guys, you really helped me narrow down my options.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

I would say to head to the edge of the field you mentioned, the one near water and surrounded by woods.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep one thing in mind though, it sounds like you know the ground very well, which isa very important thing. But if you hear one gobbling on the roost, dont be afraid to close the gap. If I can, I like to get as close as possible without spooking the bird. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

My two cent's worth

It sounds like you are applying deer hunting tactics to turkey hunting, as in trying to figure out were travel routes and funnels are, sources of food and water, etc. You may kill a turkey like this, but I huntin adifferent manner. I let the turkeys tell me where they are by gobbling from the roost then I go to him, set up in the best place possible, and try to call him in. Since you know the area extremely well I would suggest that you employ this tactic. Knowing which direction the turkeys typically go at flydown is a bonus and try to get on that side. Make sure your calling area isn't too open nor too thick - in my experience being able to see 40-60 yards through the woods is just about right.

Of the places I hunt, the only "permanent" set-ups are places I made for both my young son and I to call turkeys in large open areas using decoys. When I hunt by myself I typically start not knowing where I may eventually end up, as I let the turkeys dictate that.

These tactics change however, depending on the weather, time of day, and previous experience.

Good luck

Mouthcaller