Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

jakes drumming

Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default jakes drumming

Has anyone positively heard and seen jakes drumming? Last year I hsd some birds gobbling I called them in and there were 3 jakes. After a while they moved off and when they were out of sight I started hearing drumming. I cannot remember if I heard drumming before they came in or not.DO JAKES SPIT AND DRUM?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: jakes drumming

In my experience Ive never heard a jake spit and drum. When I hear one spitting and drumming that means hes close. Chances are it was a 2 year old or older. But thats just my opinion. Others on here may have heard a jake spit and drum. But for me no...
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Yea I agree Arrowmaster. This spot was real thick but there was an old road cut in along the hillside I moved in to where I could see about 20 yds. ahead and there was a bend in the road, that is where the jakes came and went.And that is where the drumming came from.Iwaited 20 min.for the bird to show all went quiet and they dissapeared.Never to be seen or heard again.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Spike

jakes do drum. had one this morning almost loose his life until i seen his full fan and beard. he had about a four to five inch beard and his fan wasn't a full fan. there was two other jakes with him and this one that was struttin and drummin was bigger, but it was still a jake.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx, for the reply msippiboy I know down there in Miss. its no jakes.Have you been seeing many Longbeards around this area where you heard this jake drumming?
Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I sure did and no more than 1 foot from my own Tom Struttin decoy I made - placed no more than 6 feet infront of my blind. I even have a bit of it on video tape. In fact some of the birds that I know and saware Jakes I am amazed on how well they Gobble!

Not the Spit and Drumm was not as lound as an older bird - but he sure did a nice job at it! And his buddy the other Jake just stood there dumb looking......and the hen with them was sure interested in Vira my laying hen.

I was really glad I was fortunate to eye witness and hear this.

JW
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jakes do drum, that's a fact. I had three come in one afternoon drumming up a storm.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Spike

i have plenty of long beards in the spot where the jake was drumming. a little over a month ago i had 19 long beards in one group out in a open field feeding.