Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is a drumming Turkey? >

What is a drumming Turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a drumming Turkey?

Old 04-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is a drumming Turkey?

I have heard that they are supposed to sound like a woodpecker. Is this true. What is exactly is it, I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,
Trapper_Hunter(Colby)
Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is a drumming Turkey?

drumming is a noise the turkey makes, but dont ask me how or why they do it. I have never personally heard a turkey drum, but i know they sell calls that sound like it.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:32 AM

I finally heard a gobbler spit and drum this year. It is a sound they make often while struttng. The spit is like FFFFFFFTTT! Then a very low frequency noise that sounds like "dough" but is drawn out. What it means---if you hear it---Mr. Long Beard is real close. The one I heard was behind me. I made the mistake of turning my head---only to see him beat feet!!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:04 AM

drumming is a sound they make withe their wings, usually part of the strutting sequence. ruffed grouse do a similiar thing, and its something I've heard quite often in the spring woods
Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 AM

I don't think drumming involves the wings, because the toms drumming I've seen aren't moving their wings when they drum. To me, the drum sounds like a low frequency (that is, a low pitched) "whoouump" or "ruuummp". It is a single note at a time. I think of it like hitting a tympani or bass drum once, only the sound has less volume and is lower in pitch than the usual tympani or bass drum. My understanding is that it comes from their chest area, likely the pulmonic membrane/sac. The "spit" is a "chhhkkk' sound I think they make when they "snap" their wings at the start of the strut, but I don't know if it comes from their mouths or their wings.
It is awesome to hear!!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm no expert but I was fortunate enough to experience 2 toms in full strut at about 7-8 yds once. sour1 & Snowdog's descriptions are what I heard.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-28-2004, 02:06 PM

To me, the spitting always sounds like a verrry angry house cat. The drum sounds like someone making a drum sound in their throat.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Let me ask a follow up. Do turkeys drum without spitting? I have heard turkeys spit and drum on tape but not in person. Last Saturday I was out for the youth hunt with my son. We went into a wooded area that often has turkeys. On our way into the area we heard a loud noise up ahead that almost sounded like someone picked up a log and dropped it. We set up quickly and I did a few clucks and purrs and a couple of yelps. There was no response but we continued to hear the noise periodically for about 5 minutes. It came from the same spot each time. My son wanted to go and look but we held tight. Eventually, the sound stopped and we moved to investigate. I never saw any turkey sign in the area where the noise came from and never figured out what it was. It was not the classic spit and drum just a periodic thump. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been able to hear one drumming yet. I hear about it alot but that is about the only turkey behavior I havent experience in the wild.

Quick Reply: What is a drumming Turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.