Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bull Elk Drumming

Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bull Elk Drumming

How do you folks imitate a BullElk Drumming? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bull Elk Drumming

What do you mean by drumming? Are you talking about the glunking sound they make? If so the best way is to pop you lips with or withouta diaphram in your mouth into a grunt tube. With the diaphramin Ithinkitmakesfor a better realistic elk sound. It takes a bit of practice to sound natural but is fairly easy to do overall.For you to hear it you have to be close, like under 50 yards close.I like to make this call inbetween two very low growls and then throw in a huff or two as well. If the bull is comming into you can also give them a nerovosgrunt (kind of like a cow bark but lower and not as alarming) to say hey show yourself to me. I know that Paul (elknut) likes to use a empty beer bottle to makehis glunking sounds and they do sound better than most using a grunt tube. But since I don't want to or know of to many people who would want to pack a empty beer bottle withthema grunt tube works fine. For those of you who want to hear this sound to know what I am taking about but have never herd it, pick up a copy of Rackof the Rockies vol, 2 by Wayne Carlton. In aboult the middle of the video two hunters call a big 6x6 up to them in the snow and can't get a shoot (wrong angle), but you can sure hear the bull glunking. These guys are not pros but justaverage joes who sent their home style video into Carlton and he used it in this video. I hope this answeres your question. Jason
Old 09-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk drumming is when highly excited bull slaps his penis on his belly. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

not even gonna go there