Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Drumming

Old 01-29-2004, 01:55 AM

Default Drumming

In the March 2004 issue of turkey and turkey hunting there is an article on drumming.It says that you can roost a turkey by listening for drumming and that a gobbler will be drumming in the morning long before he starts gobbling.Has anyone ever heard a tom drumming that early or roosted one by listening for drumming?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drumming

I never have. It seems to me that if you can here him drumming in the evening, your're too close. If you hear drumming in the AM, great. But I wouldn't count on it.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots/Tons of times. But once you do , your way to close to the bird, the wrong move and it over faster then you want to know. A hunt last spring with my bud Scrapper 1 , we moved into a small wood lot where we seen birds and quietly setup and waited. As it started to break light we heard the PPPPUUUUTTTTTT ROOOOOMMMMMMMMM Well we held our own and almost got a chance at the bird , but we had some Anti hunting problems not long after [:'(]...BT
Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wacker, I have been told many times I'm nuts but the birds we have here we can here drum on a still morning or evening up to a 100 yards away! Yes I have set-up on countless gobblers still on the roost and listened to them drum long before they ever broke the predawn darkness with there first gobble!I have actually killed birds by being able to move ahead or in a position to get in front of them by being able to hear them by there spitting and drumming giving me a bearing of where exactly there at!Good article on this subject that over the years has helped this turkey hunter bag more than one gobbler!!
Old 01-30-2004, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

With bad Inner Ear infections growing up my hearing has went down hill I wish I could hear a little better. The wind really distorts my hearing Bob Bud your going to have to be my ears Bud , just point me in the right direction. We'll Kill his A$$ ...BT
Old 01-30-2004, 05:29 AM

same here I have heard them many times on the roost limb drumming.I have heard and saw them at about maybe 75 yards.
if you hear them ; you need to be very quit and still.because you are pretty close.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Im in agreement with Adrian here. If u hear a bird drummin from the roost, U R CLOSE! Perhaps too close. Bess just ease on down to the ground, peer into the trees nearby, hope 2 spot the bird. If u can't locate the bird, wait for the gobble that will eventually come and from there, make a decision
Old 01-30-2004, 10:22 AM

I've heard them drumming on the limb....however, roosting a bird in this manner...I don't know about that.......if you can hear a bird drumming, it's critical....and there's no room error at this point....I love to hear turkeys gobble, but to me, hearing a turkey drum is the most exhilerating sound there is.....I was setting on a bird a couple of years ago, a turkey was out in front of me a hundred yards or so.....gobbling at every sound.......I hear something in the leaves directly behind me, and it got CRITICAL CLOSE, and the next thing I hear is the spit and drum....unbelievably, I'm pretty sure the gobbler brushes against the same tree that i'm sitting at.....and I'm frozen....I kept hearing it drum behind me and this went on for at least a half and hour....but the turkey walks away and the only time I ever saw it was when I just caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, periphally...other than that, I never got a good look at it.....went home empty handed but it was a cool hunt to say the least.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
VP

A Big Ole Gobb drumming in the predawn hours STILL makes the hair stand up on the back of this ole Coon A$$'s neck-
I'tll getcha every time and make you pucker up at the wrong end!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:28 PM

Thank for the great replies guys,I'm sure some people can tune into the drumming sounds at a greater distance than I can.I don't think I can hear it more than 50yds.

Quick Reply: Drumming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.