Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Wyoming Black Hills area >

Wyoming Black Hills area

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wyoming Black Hills area

Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Wyoming Black Hills area

I plan on hunting the area for the first time this year. Does anybody have any advice to help make my hunt successful?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Black Hills area

what time of the season are you going out there?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 PM

I havent turkey hunted there, but last fall while deer hunting, I saw alot of turkeys in the national forest north of sundance. I got within 10 yards of a bunch of jakes while I was standing in the forest road! Good luck! Lots of birds ther
Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: ultimag

what time of the season are you going out there?
I don't have a set date picked. It could be opening day in mid April, or I can wait until late April.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Dont go opening weekend. Its so loaded with people. Go about the 3rd week. Even 2nd is ok. On the seconed weekend there was 3ft a snow yet out there. Takes alott of hard work. Dont be afraid of walking far. Most I talked to only went maybe a mile. I walk about 2-3 miles to my spot. I got one area thats awsome for turkeys up there.

When you hear that gobbler. Dont give up. They seem to ignore you in morning and come back around noon to look for that hen. Even if the gobblings a mile or more away. They will be there eventually.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be up there april 18-20, staying at the Mt. View Campground in Sundance, WY. Its my first year hunting the WY side of the hills also.

Tips I've learned from the SD Balck Hills:

1. Drink Water. Bring enough water with you on the hunt and then bring some more.

2. Hunt all day. The birds will gobble and move all day unless the weather is really extreme.

3. Be in shape. The merriams are very mobile and cover ground all day. You'll will want to keep up with them.

4. Equipment needed- GPS, topo maps, Binos, Loud box call, rain gear, camelback, and a pack to put everything in including your lunch. Forget your decoys you wont need them.

PM me if you have anymore questions.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

The later in the season you go the more the birds will move up into yhe national forest. They seem to follow the snowline.They winter on all the ranches surrounding the national forest.Allot of those ranches are leased to outfitters I have knocked on all their doors and managed to get permission on a few places.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. It's going to be fun and a challenge. I read an article a few years back as describing this area as an easy place to harvest a gobbler, but that seems far from accurate.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

NJlongbeard, if you find some ridgetops that have a little purple flower blooming I call them a Krokus flower those spring turkeys love to eat those.